Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I've noticed that Eric sounds best as a sideman to me. There are a number of musicians I liked very much on other records led by someone else. On baritone sax there is Pepper Adams with Donald Byrd, and also with Mingus, who was absolutely fantastic; but I don't have the same opinion of albums where he led.

That is also true for Eric; I liked him with Mingus, and he also has blown some brilliant solos with other musicians such as Oliver Nelson on "Blues And The Abstract Truth". He blows alto, and flute on "Stolen Moments", one of the most beautiful tunes in all of jazz.  Eric's flute solo puts this tune over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbaGDDbpcQ4

It was so unfortunate and tragic, what happened in Germany, just when all was going to come together for Eric Dolphy.

Enjoy the music.
Very glad to see discussion of Eric Dolphy; a player who definitely pushed the envelope of modern jazz into post-hardbop avant-garde  and I'm not sure there would have been as much interest here three years ago.  To my ears, he was one of the few avant-garde players who, at no point in his improvisations, am I tempted to say "this is bs".  He had his own musical vocabulary and was a much more accomplished instrumentalist than many avant-garde players.  He was particularly accomplished on alto saxophone and bass clarinet; somewhat less so on flute with a less developed tone than on the other two instruments, but not to the point that he couldn't be fully expressive.  I really like Ghosthouse's description of his style:

****Dolphy reminds me of Stravinsky/Schoenberg/Webern...very angular compositions; "post-romantic" if be-bop can be considered "romantic".****

I feel differently about his playing as a sideman vs leader.  To my ears his work as a sideman is excellent and very distinctive, but it is his work a leader that fully expresses his voice.  It isn't surprising that for anyone who can take Dolphy on a limited basis his work as a sideman would be preferred; it is generally a little more "inside", and hence more accessible, than his work as leader in which he generally takes it farther into the avant-garde.  "Out To Lunch" is a brilliant record and probably his best record.  The earlier and appropriately titled "Out There" is another great one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MOhKYOQK-d

His flute work on this is great:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s4GdwJODLbI

Orpheus - YES...Eric Dolphy's death was certainly "unfortunate and tragic".  Finished the documentary today.  I had no idea the circumstances around it.  We can add "unnecessary" to the words describing it. While Eric certainly bore some personal responsibility for how he cared for himself, the greater share of blame has to be on the doctor(s) who, because of stereotypes about black jazz musicians, misinterpreted and mistreated the diabetic coma that he had fallen into.    

Appreciated Frogman's comments.  Will have to see if I can find Out There.  Thanks too to acman for the You Tube clips.