Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Orpheus - YES...Eric Dolphy's death was certainly "unfortunate and tragic".  Finished the documentary today.  I had no idea the circumstances around it.  We can add "unnecessary" to the words describing it. While Eric certainly bore some personal responsibility for how he cared for himself, the greater share of blame has to be on the doctor(s) who, because of stereotypes about black jazz musicians, misinterpreted and mistreated the diabetic coma that he had fallen into.    

Appreciated Frogman's comments.  Will have to see if I can find Out There.  Thanks too to acman for the You Tube clips.  

Ghosthouse, as much as I would like to, I can't blame that doctor; this is in Germany, where that doctor had to go on what he believed, based on what he had heard and read. There just was not enough time to correct his misconceptions.

Today, and I mean right up until this present moment; "Stereotypifiers" ( a new word) who have scads of information at their fingertips, do the same thing. No matter how you add, subtract, multiply, and even do long division, the answer will always be the same, in regard to long held beliefs. As a result of those people, we are all going to hell in a hand basket together.

Enjoy the music.

Ghosthouse, Erick Dolphy was self treating himself for "low blood sugar" when he asked for the bottles of Coke, and ice cream. This means he had experienced some kind of symptoms before that indicated low blood sugar, and had treated himself by raising his blood sugar with Coke and ice cream.

I believe he overdid it this time, and raised his blood sugar too much; enough to go into a coma.

Jazz musicians at that time, had a thing about doctors and hospitals; I don't know how much of it was justified. "Nica koenigswarter" , the "Be-Bop Baroness", had to convince, and then take Coleman Hawkins to the hospital when he was deathly ill; that probably saved his life, because otherwise, he wasn't going.

Enjoy the music.
O - agree with you that Eric was treating himself and incorrectly. He needed insulin to help his body utilize what sugar was already present. I’ll have to disagree with you on blaming the medicos. "Blame" (not pejoratively but objectively) since, because of a stereotype, they didn’t investigate more thoroughly what was really going on with their patient. BTW - in my opinion, stereotypes exist for reason, they aren’t made out of "whole cloth". What’s bad about them is when they are applied inappropriately...when they prevent us truly seeing the individual OR are used to drive public policy.

Ghosthouse, I applaud the way you are consistently refuting my answers with sound logic, that indicates you are seeking the truth, and want no part of any preconceived notion.

You are absolutely correct, that doctor was an impostor; doctors are men of science, he had all sorts of test instruments, and equipment, at his disposal; regardless what he surmised, he should have tested to discover the "truth".

Politicians almost always use preconceived notions to get votes, they are as afraid of the truth, as they would be of a saw scaled viper; one of the most venomous snakes in the world.

"How did you know he was lying"? His lips were moving, and he's a politician.

Enjoy the music.