Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

America is, and always has been the most racist free country on the planet. And this includes the era during slavery. To understand that, you have to be able to think, and be aware of attitudes and conditions around the world.

Rok, that must be some good herb you been smoking; pass the pipe.

Enjoy the music.
***** Rok, that must be some good herb you been smoking; pass the pipe.*****

It's a herb that is virtually unknown in this country.  It's called World History 101.

Cheers

Rok, it's not about approval of white people, it's about making a living.

Let me tell you about the racism that does not exist; it's a long story, so I hope you aren't in a hurry.

In 1980, a "white" man without a college education, who worked at one of the car manufacturing plants, or aircraft factory, could expect to be able to purchase a 3 bedroom ranch with 2 baths, an entertainment room, plus 2 car garage. All of this would be in a nice suburb, with green grass, where everybody mowed their lawns, and there were no sirens to keep you woke, or gunfire. (a black man who worked at one of those places could do the same thing, but he wasn't the one who put the wrench in the works)

Philadelphia, Mississippi is where James Chaney, a 21-year-old black man from Meridian, Mississippi, Andrew Goodman, a 20-year-old White jewish anthropology student from New York, and Michael Schwerner, a 24-year-old White jewish CORE organizer and former social worker also from New York were murdered.

Two White jewish civil rights workers, and one black worker were lynched shortly after midnight on June 21, 1964, when they went to investigate the burning of a church that supported civil rights activity.

The autopsy report stated that Chaney had a left arm broken in one place, a right arm broken in two places and groin injuries. All three were shot to death.

This is where Ronald Reagan gave his post-convention speech after being officially chosen as the Republican nominee for the President of the United States at the Neshoba county fair. This was just a few miles from where the horribly mutilated bodies of three civil rights workers were discovered. Reagan said, "I believe in States' Rights." And he went on to promise to "restore to states and governments the power that properly belongs to them."

The people in the United States of America, who this speech was meant for, recieved the full impact, including the location, which was where the Civil Rights workers were lynched.

Since he opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, it didn't matter that he opposed unions; as long as he was for "States Rights", which was a euphemism for lynching blacks with impunity. He said President Jefferson Davis was one of his hero's while campaigning in Georgia. (Jefferson Davis was the President of the slave South during the Civil War) Although Reagan opposed any and everything to do with Civil Rights for blacks, he said he was not a Racist.

His war on labor was a war on the "Serf Class", (those without college educations) If you are unemployed, or working for minimum wage; you can probably thank Ronald Reagan. However, the most unique aspect of where we are now; is that Union members voted for Ronald Reagan in 1980 and 1984. This is equivalent to a rabbit voting for year round rabbit hunting.

During his two terms in office, millions of Americans were thrown out of work, while the richest had their taxes cut in half. As productivity increased from 1980 to the present, working peoples wages remained essentially frozen. Major corporations laid off tens of thousands of workers while making enormous profits.

By Republican standards, Ronald Reagan is considered the best President ever. His success was the destruction of the unions that had fought so long and hard for the high wages and benefits that gave American workers the highest standard of living in the world.

The speech he gave in Philadelphia, Mississippi where he symbolically stood on the graves of three lynched civil rights workers and promised to restore states rights; solidified the southern vote for the Republican Party forever.

Union members are still voting Republican. When deer put lions and tigers in office, what do they expect. Today 20 July 16, as I am writing this; as the "Good old boy's" say "Hit don't make no difference now" and as a friend of mine used to say, "It's all over but the shoutin", when is the funeral.

Enjoy the music.  
I will no longer respond to post that are factually incorrect.  Takes too much time. And I did say you have to be able to think, to understand what I said.

Cheers

Rok, I understand, my last post implied there was a difference between the Republican, and Democratic parties; maybe there was once upon a time, but as far as I'm concerned they both are politicians, who are only for politicians.

When I was a kid shooting marbles, we had something called "Hobble squabble", and when that was yelled out, everybody pounced on the marbles in the ring to see who could get the most; today, that's the way it is with the Democratic and Republican Parties.

Rok, I will retract anything you find that is incorrect; simply point it out to me.

Enjoy the music.