Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Glad you guys enjoyed it. Acman3, I agree; the subtlety in his playing just keeps coming the more you listen.

Rok, WBGO is one of the treasures of the tri-state area. It's been broadcasting for quite a while and is probably the best of, sadly, only seven 24hr jazz stations left IN THE WORLD.
Interesting article in May 2014 JAZZ TIMES magazine. "High Notes". Deals with drugs in Jazz. Seems as if drugs are no where near as prevalent today as they were back in the day.

Some suggest that the lack of drugs is reflected in, and has affected today's Music. :(

Damned it you do, damned if you don't.

Cheers

Although presently I'm focusing on jazz vocal groups, I'm also deeply moved by vocals of a religious persuasion, such as "Motherless Child" by Afro Blue. It seems that all of us were moved by that group.

Never before have I been moved by vocals, minus musical instruments, but they did it; they plumbed the emotional depths of "Motherless Child". While it's not easy finding new vocal groups of this caliber, I'm sure you guys can do it.

Enjoy the music.
Re: Nina Simone, I meant that she is Gritty.

And I haven't read the Jazz times article, but I will. Without reading it though, I think the times have changed. There are plenty of drugs around, but the younger jazz musicians don't have to face the same world now as the 1950's-1970's. Jazz is no longer a sub-culutre of society and our society does not draw from the hip culture of Jazz now. Jazz is un-cool to youth (I know, I teach them everyday). In my opinion, a more fair comparison to drugs and older Jazz culture would be Rap and Hiphop from the 1990's to the present. If we look at those musicians, then drugs are very prevalent and the music relevant. I'm going to read the article for more insight, but I think it's more cultural then drugs on why there isn't to much great jazz today.

I'll say this, Wayne Shorter's band was flat out amazing this last year and Brian Blade (his drummer on tour) has a new band and album out (on Blue note no less) that gives me hope. "Brian Blade and the Fellowship band" and for heavens sake if Brian Blade is within 100 miles of you do yourself a favor and do whatever you can to see him live. He is a breathtaking drummer to watch and listen too. Be forewarned listeners, his music leans towards the avant garde, experimental crowd, but there are plenty of fine piano melodies and some great structure, plus it just sounds amazing. If your a fan of Eric Dolphy, Jackie Mclean, and Andrew Hill then you should find Brian Blade a refreshing new artist.

Also, some cool newer jazz labels to explore which might be closer to the older jazz culture, but with more modern artists:
PI Records
Aum Fidelity
Thirsty Ear
Cryptogramophone
Is Bluenote coming back to the forefront….hmmm?