Ice Amp 125ASX2

Are amps with this module comparable to the better class AB amps? The Tripath amps tended to be weak with bass and highs were a bit rolled off...so I guess I'm wondering if the ICE Amps have solved the problems inherent to Class D? Thanks   
seanheis1
Thanks for all the advice everbody. I just pulled the trigger and bought a complete ice unit with housing and volume control for $285 shipped 
seanheis 1,

I think you're going to like it.  Like several posters have stated, these class D amps are very neutral.  I use a total of 5 class D amps in my combo 5.1 ht/ music system utilizing 3 different power modules listed below:

Anaview/Abletec modules - in a pair of D-sonic M3-600-A monoblock driving the front l/r mains.

B&O Ice ASP series modules, I believe - in a  bridged Emerald Physics EP-100.2SE stereo amp (with a custom analog power supply rather than the usual switching one) driving the center.

Proprietary modules - in a stereo ClassD Audio SDS440CS amp (also using a  traditional toirrodal transformer power supply, not the typical switching power supply) for the rear surrounds.

Even though I'm currently only using the Anaview/Abletec modules for music (because they're the latest models, the most powerful and sound the best to me), I have  auditioned all 3 driving my older 4 ohm Magnepan 2.7 spkrs. I can tell you with confidence that all 3 modules have similar characteristics:

- Very neutral, highly detailed and natural sounding from top to bottom with no added flavoring but also without harshness which allows you to tailor the sound to your preference; very neutral when paired with a neutral solid-state preamp or some flavoring with a tube preamp.  

-Virtually zero background noise so music sounds like it's emerging from a dead quiet blackness.

-Very good dynamic range that, paired with the quiet background, creates that 'in the room' soundstage that portrays a sense of listening to live music.  This can actually be a bit stunning on well recorded source content for both music and ht.

-Seemingly effortless power, coupled with extremely low distortion, that is able to maintain a solid and stable sounstage illusion no matter what the volume setting.

The above is what I think you can expect from the B&O Ice ASX module you asked about.   I've only heard the previous B&O ASP module  Ice amp that I think is in my Emerald Physics amp.  The ASX module is a more recent module that I read has an even more extended top end.

Please let us know your results once you're done,

Tim 

It all depends on the particular amp... The class D module is one of the factors in the sound of an amp, but the sonic characteristics of an amp go far beyond the contribution of the module.

The only amp powered by ICEpower 125 ASX2 that I know is the Rowland M125 bridgeable amp.... It has fully balanced, and is transformer coupled inputs. According to all reports I have heard about M125, it has been found to be a great music maker. See more information at:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=693

Regards, Guido

e
Thanks for sharing. I will let you guys know how it compares to my Rega Brio R, which is a brilliant little amp.  
More to discover