Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, why are you only posting the albums in your collection. "You Tube" is like a library of music that they want everybody to post.

In the beginning, some artists objected when their records were posted without their permission, but after it was revealed that resulted in sales of their old records that everybody had forgotten, they no longer objected.

Since it is illegal to copy for sale, the artists are not losing anything by exposure through "You Tube"; as a matter of fact, they are gaining sales they otherwise would not have.

Please follow the script, we have already reviewed those records.

Enjoy the music.
I must admit that, like Rok, post only albums that I have.
Of course that using ytube helps a lot, to hear albums that I might like and buy, but there is one more tool that I can recommend.
In my case, its a jazz encyclopedia and there are few good editions.
There are lot of informations on internet, but if you already do not know the name of artist or performer, its much more difficult to randomly find his work
Rok, if you like 'Legendary' recordings, try the other one that I have posted,
'New chamber music', same line up, simmilar feeling

Since I don't have any of the records in my collection that are waiting to be reviewed, this concludes my review of Mr. Ahmad Jamal.

I wouldn't want to do anything that went against the sentiments of my fellow aficionados.

Enjoy the music.
I can surely see why someone would want to only review music they own, as they would have had time to know the music, and have had a chance to hear the little nuances in the music. Then they might be ready to discuss what they have heard and sometimes even how their opinion changed or grew stronger with more listening. 

I also think we have a great resource in YouTube, and there is no way any of us can have a third of someone like Ahmad Jamel's music in our library, much less keep up with music from older less known, and newer emerging artist in the past 40+ years.

We can play what music we have and stuff we don't from YouTube and both learn together, from and with each other, or just play the music we know and own, and HOPE someone here owns different music to show us music we may have missed or quite honestly just forgotten .

Ultimately it will, of course, be up to each of us to play what we want to play, and I will respect each of your decisions.

Probably much ado about nothing but one Jazz Lovers opinions.
O-10, I was in my last few clips showing that Ahmad Jamal was not entirely unaffected by fusion, although on the first cut, you can still hear his unique playing.

The second was, at least to me, a horrible version of a Steely Dan cover. 

The comment on the suit was supposed to be funny. I know that suit is sure hilarious !