McIntosh and Autoformers. . .?

What is an Autoformer, and what kind of difference will it make to the sound? I heard some B&W 803's the other day with the McIntosh 402, and it sounded absolutely unreal! I was so impressed, I am thinking of dumping my current SET gear, and going with McIntosh and B&W's.

A freidn tells me that I only want the new McIntosh stuff with the Autoformers. I don't know why. Will the 202 have similar sonic characteristics to the 402? What about the 6900?

Thanks!

B
hantrax
Post removed 
I own B&W 800D, and I don’t think McIntosh is the best amp for B&W. It sounded rather awful when I demoed one.

I love how it looks, so I will try again when I change my speakers. (planning now).

Edit
yes, I also think First Watt is a much better amp, although it looks rather unimpressive and no power...

Wow, a 13 year old thread!

I don't understand why McIntosh's still uses autoformers on their ss amps. It negates the ability to adapt to real world speaker impedance variability and ergo negates the ability to provide  linear frequency response. Other than one unusual First Watt amp that uses them differently, I don't know of any other ss amps that use them.

i've read that the autoformer will make the amp perform good at 2,4or 8 ohms.also a mcintosh will turn off when "dc' current is coming. i had a phase linear 400 that did not turn off  when "dc' current was there. it fried 3 of my speakers. if you want protection, you get what you pay for!