OPPO BDP-103 (NON Darby)

Hey all, (My mistake, I know it’s Darbee, not "Darby.")
I think I’m finally going to break down and buy a player that plays SACD disks. I know there are not all that many SACD titles available but I tried getting back into vinyl and was not all that happy with the $800.00 table I bought. Perhaps when I can afford a $3,00.00 PLUS turntable I will try again.
Anyway, I currently play DSD & FLAC files via thumb drive with my Marantz network player and CDR via a good Yamaha CD player. My amp & pre-amp are Emotiva and current speakers are B&W.
My thought is to buy an OPPO 103 - NON Darbee addition as I do not expect to use it for anything but 2 channel audio.
So, my qiestion is; how does the OPPO BDP-103 perform when playing Hi-Res audio and especially SACD? Does anyone have first hand experience with other players that may be a better choice for what I want in the same price range? I’ve read that the OPPOs tend to do better with Video play back than audio. Is this true?
I appreciate any & all replies!
wcc10
Well, I'm not sure about better.  I will say the DAC's aren't all that, and SACD analog playback isn't much better.  It's not terrible, until you listen side by side with a good DAC.  Currently I'm listening to a Mytek Brooklyn, which is leagues better on the top end, imagine and decay of music and presentation of space.

I have a single SACD disk from Blue Coast but it's in a box.  Before I moved I listened to it via the Oppo and was not particularly moved. If there is magic in SACD playback I did not experience it via the Oppo.

I believe it may be possible to output DSD to the Mytek, but I am several boxes away from finding out.

I own an Oppo BDP-105 used as an SACD/CD player using the XLR output. I also play my Blu-ray movies and multichannel music discs through it. I only have one SACD disc (Vanessa Fernandez) so far but can clearly hear the difference. I believe you will be fine with the player. Now regarding your part about, " I’ve read that the OPPOs tend to do better with Video playback than audio. Is this true"? Of course it isn’t true! ;) Was that from actual owners that somehow were able to compare the video to the audio? How is that even accomplished? Please point me to those threads were actual owners stated that the video outperformed the audio? For that "price range" you’ll be just fine.
Looking again at your list, I put the Emotiva and Oppo sounds as aout equivalent. The Emotiva pre/pro I listened to were quieter, but kind of gutless, or soul-sucking quality. Seemed to have all the notes, but lacked the energy.

Personally I would replace your Emotiva with a Mytek Brooklyn which has a very good built-in phono stage and can act like a preamp, and keep your turntable. There’s a dealer on Agon who will give you a short trial.

For now, I would put DSD on the back burner for you. ;) Get your turntable and digital sources to sound great first, as opposed to spinning your wheels looking for a better source.

Best,

Erik
I am in agreement with Erik, take the money and upgrade your turntable. Just putting your turntable on a stable solid surface will help you with playback.
More to discover