Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Jamal:  Poinciana in Poznan  1998:

It was my understanding that most artist get tired of, and resent playing their biggest hits over and over, due to public demand.   They want to move on and showcase their talents.  Not so with Jamal and 'Poinciana'.   He seems to relish playing it where ever he goes.

Besides, the date at The Pershing is the definitive version.  Spoiled only an indifferent audience.

Cheers

Learsfool:

My comment was meant in the same sense as to why cameras were blocked in Courtrooms and The Congress for many decades.   The camera changes how people act / Speak.

Cheers

Regardless as to how many different ways that it's played, the one that was made at the "Pershing" is the definitive "Poinciana", at least it's my favorite. No matter how many times he redoes things, the first one is the best, according to me.

Records and live appearances are different to the point, the live audience probably wants to hear his best hits redone, while as a record enthusiast, I want something new, but I would not have discovered that if I hadn't focused on his "discography".

Enjoy the music.

Learsfool, I would like for you to post your favorite classical music that features your instrument.

Thank you.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I just received Ahmads album with Othello on steel drums; it was recorded in 98, and I saw them in Chicago in the early 80's, and I was hoping to duplicate that experience. Although this CD doesn't even come close to that night in Chicago, it's OK; but I don't want a CD that's just OK, all of those OK CD's are going on the market.

You must take into consideration that both men were approximately 20 years younger, and they were on fire in Chicago. As we get older we lose whatever we had when we were younger, and musicians are no different; that's why Ahmad's best work is behind him, but I'm sure he's still very entertaining on a live set.

Mary Lou Williams is the only artist I can think of who seemed to retain every thing all the way up to the end.

Enjoy the music.