Loudspeakers have we really made that much progress since the 1930s?

Since I have a slight grasp on the history or loudspeaker design. And what is possible with modern. I do wonder if we have really made that much progress. I have access to some of the most modern transducers and design equipment. I also have  large collection of vintage.  I tend to spend the most time listening to my 1930 Shearer horns. For they do most things a good bit better than even the most advanced loudspeakers available. And I am not the only one to think so I have had a good num of designers retailers etc give them a listen. Sure weak points of the past are audible. These designs were meant to cover frequency ranges at the time. So adding a tweeter moves them up to modern performance. To me the tweeter has shown the most advancement in transducers but not so much the rest. Sure things are smaller but they really do not sound close to the Shearer.  http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/lmco/shearer.htm
128x128johnk
Johnk,

Are your 1930 Shearer horns all original parts and design? If so and still in good operating condition that would be something. If not, then what has been done to "restore" them? Also if restored how can you know what these sounded like originally and that that was equivalent to restored versions?

Is it possible the speakers benefit from anything new or different not incorporated into their original design?

Just wondering.

Thanks.
According to the same website that speaks of the Shearer loudspeaker the Voice of the Theater was an improvement over the earlier design (http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/altec/vott.htm). The reasons why and what was done are outlined at that link.

Johnk, do you feel this is not the case- do you feel that the Shearer was a better system? If so, why (do you think something was lost with the succeeding design)?
After owning many Altec a2 a4 a5 a7 as well as others and also having the ability to compare the Altec a4 to Shearer. A a4 is nearly the same loudspeaker design as a shearer accept for the massive W bin of Shearers. The 210 cabinet isn't a upgrade over a older W bin doesn't have the extension or the kick. It did allow for cheaper build lighter cabinets and higher crossover point so less powerful mag and smaller mid horn but a wee bit better extension in treble its a good example of bean counter design right down to the battleship grey WW2 surplus paint. As I collected altecs I notice the build quality decreasing towards the 1960s some cabinets the adhesive was placed about 2 inch from seam with less bracing used. Still a Altec a2 a4 a5 are wonderful loudspeakers with a few upgrades will compete with most of whats available today.
The Shearers have been set up with RCA FC  from the 1930s RCA alnicos from the 1940s have also run Altecs EV in them. Run a few different multicells inc the 18 cell. Had TAD 4001 in Iwata mids on them for awhile. I have a large collection of horns loudspeakers about old, new, prototypes, designs for other manufacturers. I do have  much experience mostly all hands on in my systems with the best of old and new. My point that I still think others miss is that by the 1930s most of the design of loudspeakers was sorted and today not as much innovation exists in loudspeaker design. And by chasing the small thus requiring high power we have lost something is what we lost more than what we gain in small size convenience? that is up to you to decide I already did.