Loudspeakers have we really made that much progress since the 1930s?

Since I have a slight grasp on the history or loudspeaker design. And what is possible with modern. I do wonder if we have really made that much progress. I have access to some of the most modern transducers and design equipment. I also have  large collection of vintage.  I tend to spend the most time listening to my 1930 Shearer horns. For they do most things a good bit better than even the most advanced loudspeakers available. And I am not the only one to think so I have had a good num of designers retailers etc give them a listen. Sure weak points of the past are audible. These designs were meant to cover frequency ranges at the time. So adding a tweeter moves them up to modern performance. To me the tweeter has shown the most advancement in transducers but not so much the rest. Sure things are smaller but they really do not sound close to the Shearer.  http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/lmco/shearer.htm
128x128johnk
Johnk

I was not responding to your comment. Not at all. Just my view on the pathetic development in speakers. Fancy metal drivers. Shiny and bright, some even zircon coated but where are the tests that these sound good, let alone better. 

My thoughts. 

I just happened to remember, when I built my custom speakers originally, 20 years ago, I used 6 inch Vifa for the midrange, which is a good speaker, and I was told not long ago that they had improved their 6 inch driver, so I replaced the old drivers for Vifa's new drivers, and there was a tremendous improvement across the board.

Those who make their living selling drivers, have to keep improving.

Enjoy the music.
I got 20 years old 8" Vifa woofer and 1" Vifa tweeter in the speakers I have. The cabinets are made the way as if I'd made them myself, not the last word in cabinet making. But the overall sound is quite impressive with the right source and electronics.

Inna, speakers can be improved a great deal; since I built my speakers, I have replaced the woofer, and midrange, but I got the biggest surprise when I upgraded the capacitors. Although I didn't change any values, (I'm not an engineer) I changed from electrolytic to all polypropylene.

Although it was expensive, it was worth it, but it was cheap when you consider the price of new speakers.

If your speakers have all poly caps, you could talk to Vifa, or "Parts Express" about the drivers. If Vifa has improved your particular driver, those speakers would sound even better.

Since you like the speaker cabinets you already have, that would be a relatively inexpensive way to get new speakers.

One caveat, make sure you have enough room for the change in capacitors.

Good luck.
Orpheus10, thank you, this sounds like  a good idea. But I would not do the job myself, not really a handyman. I can sharpen a knife but this is different. I don't know what kind of caps my speakers have.