Can headphones ever be as good as high end stereo?

I am absolutely satisfied with the sounds of my current setup but I feel like I'm unable to listen at the volumes I prefer on a regular basis due to the ole spouse. I've been considering switching over to headphones. By selling my current speakers and amps I could easily finance stax 009 phones and a suitable amp, which seem to be regarded as the pinnacle of headphones.

My question is, what would I be losing or gaining in the switch? Right now my setup emits a beautiful wall of sound and I would hate to give that up. Understand that I have never owned a pair of headphones worth more than 80 bucks so I have no idea what good ones sounds like. Almost all source material would come from a pyon ultima table. Thanks
bfin3
I should emphasize the fact that top earphones need a top dedicated earphone amp...the results are stunning.  Plugging earphones into jacks with afterthought headphone circuits just don't work nearly as well.
I liked my headphone (HD800) much more than my previous speakers until I got my current speakers. I don't think the best headphone can't beat really good speakers in terms of the whole listening experience, but headphone can probably be more enjoyable than mediocre speakers.
I believe that high quality sound can be achieved at lower cost with headphones mated to a quality amp, however this experience is no substitute for the 'speaker' experience. I have no need for headphones in my dedicated audio room. At my bedside my headphone system prevails.
This is a no brainer.Do NOT sell a thing if your happy with the sound of your 2 channel system because it can NOT be duplicated by a can based rig!Work out a schedule with the "ole spouse"to get her out of the house long enough for you to enjoy your system the way you want to.
Also invest a small amount in a separate,dedicated headhone system for use when you want to listen & not bother her.There are some fantastic headphones & amps available today that don't cost much $.
Have a look at my little headphone system just for starters & spend time over at head-fi.org going through the buyers guides & user reviews.Good luck & keep us up to date with that new headphone rig!
Keep the stereo you would miss it but add some headphones. 

Good headphones can hang with the best stereos in resolution, tone, dynamic range etc (I do mean the best) but you will lose all of the soundstage. 

A another option to the stax would be the new Focal Utopia headphones that are coming out this month. The only issue with Stax is the amp and amp selection. A more traditional headphones will give you more options. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-launch-with-impressions-head-fi-tv

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/worlds-best-headphone-focal-utopia#ljcH6spRCL1zsXyb.97