Any modern band that comes close to Mahavishnu Orchestra ?

Nothing that I can find.
inna
Mahavishnu Orchestra is tough to replicate. One cd that I have enjoyed in the same vein is a T Lavitz production called "School of the Arts". T Lavitz was the keyboard player for the Dixie Dregs. He did session work for Santana, Widespread Panic, and others. His solo efforts are upbeat jazz fusion and his band Jazz is Dead did some interesting Grateful Dead covers.  School of the Arts features violinist Jerry Goodman from Mahavishnu and is great. You can get a used copy on amazon.
Give Stick Men a try.  Not so many of the acoustic tones, but the progressions, orchestrations and energy are in the same league, IMHO.

Happy listening!

Very tough to replicate. McLaughlin is unique. What a great band it was. Yes, Goodman was excellent but I like Ponti in the second Mahavishnu Orchestra as well. Different styles. By the way, it was Jean-Luc Ponti whom McLaughlin initially invited for the first Mahavishnu Orchestra. He accepted the invitation but for some reason it didn't happen. Then McLaughlin found Goodman, who at the time was sort of retired to a Wisconsin farm ! John's mother played violin. Interesting, isn't it?
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll try them.