2.1 disability...

I am currently upgrading my system and am trying to do it slowly for financial reasons. For now, I am using a modified Pioneer 47ai universal player into an Audio Refinement Pre2DSP. I have a powered sub within my 5.1 speaker setup. For some reason, in order to listen to a 2 channel recording and add the sub (2.1) I must press a tape monitor button under the chassis in the preamp. This degrades the sound to some extent and I was wondering is anyone who still owns one of these dinosaurs can tell me a way around it? I have the universal also hooked up in analog 5.1 into the pre, as well as the 2 channel outs as this seemed to be the only way it would work. Should I just buy a new processor and be done with it? Basically I understand that 2 channel means 2 channel and I am asking the pre to add the sub to the 2 channel mix. Maybe it is just not capable of doing that? Help me!!
llippman
Llippman - What do you have connected to the 5.1 inputs other than the subwoofer? If you connect the Pioneer completely to those inputs I would suspect that you'll get 2.1 sound.

I have the Integra 50.1 receiver that retails for $1,500 and am fairly happy with it. The 80.2 has four independent power supplies while the 70.2 only has two. I'd suspect this might make a difference in the sound quality.

What do you have for speakers and subwoofer?
" What do you have for speakers and subwoofer?"

Great question. If your subwoofer has high-level inputs in addition to your LFE connection, you may be able to come off stereo pre-outs instead. Resetting audio out option from 5.1 to stereo would de-activate the LFE out. You would need to find a method for de-activating the high-level inputs when running in 5.1, of you preferred the LFE in that mode.
Everyone is so helpful - thank you again for trying...

I am using all of the 5.1 analog outs from the Pioneer universal (soon to be Oppo nuforce xtreme)and am ALSO using the 2 channel analog outs both going to the audio refinement pre2dsp (essentially 8 separate interconnects coming out of the universal). My speaker setup is all Reimer speaker systems. I have Tetons for the fronts and McColloughs for the center and rears. The sub is also a Reimer sub but is a powered sub. Not quite sure what the high level input would be... I believe there is only one RCA input on the rear of the sub but I'll check.
I don't think that there's any benefit, as far as the universal player, for having both 5.1 and 2.0 outputs connected. I would suspect that this is true for the Audio Refinement.

Have you tried just disconnecting the 2.0 connection and see how it sounds for 2 channel audio listning. What I'm not sure about is if you'll be able to select the subwoofer on or off.
Manual for the Pioneer DV48AV shows that if Audio Output mode is set to Stereo, then Center and Subwoofer outputs are disabled, and the 5.1 channel front Left and Right jacks act as a second pair of stereo outputs.

If these specs hold true for the DV47Ai, and if the Reimer Sub has high-level inputs, then there's a possible direct solution.

Connect all of your speakers, including front stereo speakers, to your 5.1 group of audio outs, with Subwoofer into LFE connection.

Then, connect your extra pair of Stereo Outs directly to the subwoofer high-level inputs.

Then with Audio Output mode set to "5.1", extra stereo out (and thus high-level sub feed) is disabled, and LFE feeds the sub.
When Audio Output mode is set to "stereo", LFE and center channel are disabled, with 5.1's L/R feeds driving the front speakers, and extra stereo outs driving the sub.

Of course, when your new Oppo arrives, all of the subwoofer options so well covered by Mceljo and more will be available.

BTW, your speaker selection looks fascinating!

More to discover