Marantz and Stereophile?

First post here, so hello all!

So I just made what I would call a real "audiophile" addition to my system, a Marantz PM-11s3 Integrated. It is funny that when you hear of a large purchase from people my age (47 ouch) and so many call it a "mid life crisis"
Funny thing is that whether it’s a sports car or a nice Hi-Fi component it takes years of financial building to afford such a piece. Not so much a crisis but a purchase that is soooo well deserved after years of wanting but not being in reach.
I have always enjoyed, followed, and owned 2-Channel systems... I’m a 2-channel guy and always will be! I remember that very first time 30 years ago that Mark Levinson and Wilson Audio changed my perception of recorded music forever! The love of music and the appreciation of components that deliver it to me that is sonically pleasing has had a grip on me ever since.
Mark Levinson and the likes were never attainable in my younger years but the like of Adcom, Rotel, Creek, Paradigm were. Thanks to these companies I have, for many years, enjoyed terrific music that was affordable and more than that... Really enjoyable!
Several years back I found myself without anything to listen to or even a simple dvd or bluray player to watch! Break-ups suck!
As soon as I could afford it again I went back out into the market and listened to a ton of components that I could afford and was really impressed with Marantz. I ended up with a Marantz PM8004 Integrated Amp and a Marantz UD7007 Universal Disc Player. I added Paradigm Monitor 7s with Kimber speaker cables and AudioQuest interconnects for a 2-Channel system I have quite enjoyed for the past three years.
This year I finally was able to take a jump up and add to the system.
I have really loved the Marantz sound, detailed yet warm as I would describe it... So I made a plunge and replaced the PM8004 with a Reference Series PM-11s3 and replaced the Paradigm 7s with Monitor Audio’s Silver 8s.
The PM8004 is a really sweet little integrated! I really enjoyed it as did everyone who listened to it. It was and still is a very nice piece that WAY outperforms its price point.... Having said that the difference between it and the PM-11s3 is not only night and day but virtually on different planets! The PM-11s3 from build quality to sound is just in every single way in not only a different class but in a different state completely.
Now, thanks for hanging in with me here... When one looks to replace a $1000 Integrated with a $5000 Integrated they look to the ones they trust for evaluations and trusted insight on a component. So naturally I looked to Stereophile and I found nothing? Not only did I find nothing on the PM-11s3 but nothing on any Reference Series Marantz? None of the Integrates, none of the SACDs, and none of the high-end mono-blocks that cost 20K with the pre?
Now this is IN NO WAY a flame of Stereophile! I just can’t understand that in the last 15 years why they haven’t reviewed or even mentioned Reference Series Marantz? Is there a misunderstanding between the two?

264win
Thanks for the feedback. I am inclined to hold on until I can go for the PM-11S3.  I have looked at lots of ways to upgrade , but frankly, the current system sounds pretty damn good and my wife is not a big music buff, so playing at higher listening levels is pretty rare.  I think my equipment choices so far have matched up pretty well, and while I have read up on other brands ( Hegel, Parasound), I know I like both the Marantz sound and build quality.  When funds allow, I hope to upgrade both the integrated and the speakers to the PM-11S3 and a pair of Focal 1038BE's - these brands seem to pair well and I would expect to hear significant improvements with these vs my current system.
sjtm, As I said before if you do end up with a PM-14s1 I'd bet that you will hear a difference and be pleased with it...
On the other hand if you do wait for a PM-11s3 as you stated I wanted to give you my opinion on some of its traits vs the PM-8004. Now as I have stated many times before in this thread that the PM-8004 is an outstanding integrated that really outperforms is price point! But it lacks in performance quite a bit when being compared to the PM-11s3...
I see you stated that it is rare that there are listening sessions at high volume and you take this into account? I can tell you that the PM-11s3 even at lower volumes is a real performer! The PM-11s3 has the ability to add very finely focused detail and space while at the same time adding incredible PUNCH even at low levels when compared to other Integrateds! It really is something that has to be heard but my speakers just came alive and with greater authority! The difference between it and the PM-8004 at lower levels in the bass department is really incredible. The PM-8004 does a good job at keeping everything clean and detailed but the PM-11s3 really adds a huge level of grip over the lower end and even keeps the mids producing in a silky and sultry way with power even at lower levels.
Most amps just sound lazy compared to the PM-11s3 at lower levels and need that extra call of power to wake them up... Even then though there is another attribute to the PM-11s3 that accompanies its detail, it is very fast! I mean it is incredibly fast! Fast, detailed, and articulate. The speed of the PM-11s3 was something completely new to me! I'm sure there are many high dollar amps out there that give this level of performance but if you have never had one in your home then you are in for a real delight as it is a real game changer when listening to your music!
One last thing, with my talk of all this speed, detail, and focus one might start thinking that the character is anything but Marantz? But it's not! The PM-11s3 has that Marantz warmth and signature in spades and sounds just as we have come to expect from Marantz!
Anyway, Good luck with your search and good listening!  

@264win

I’m no Stereophile fanboy, but at the end of the day they only have so much space. After they are done reviewing $130,000 speakers 5 of their readers can listen to and 1 might buy, or the hearing aids they sing the praises for, there’s only so much room for affordable gear.

My point is, you take them far too seriously. Don’t be so innocent. Stereophile has a lot of agendas going on and they may not align with yours. There’s a lot more gear out there than you would think, it’s not that surprising that something you think is great wasn’t reviewed.

Personally, I find a lot of pleasure in finding those gems. Finding gear that sounds fabulous, is affordable and no one knows about.

Instead at being mad at them for not finding it for you (and who knows if you would have even seen the review) you should say to yourself "I did this by myself, and I did it better than they did! Hahahahahah"

Best,

Erik

@erik_squires 

Erik I was never mad at Stereophile and the only agenda that I might have, is in appreciation of a fine component...
But I will say this and you are right about it! I was being lazy in my search, wanting others to justify my opinion. And as you said I should have just relied on my own ears and my own thoughts, which I did in the end anyway.
After time put in I found that I really loved the Marantz Reference series and their sound. And it was just what I was looking for in the end.
So yes, lesson learned! Trust yourself and what a gem I have found in the Marantz PM-11s3!
erik_squires
...  you take them far too seriously. Don’t be so innocent. Stereophile has a lot of agendas going on and they may not align with yours.
That's quite a claim. Of course, Stereophile does have to sell advertising, so I guess you could call that an "agenda." But other than that, can you please tell us about some of the many agendas you claim Stereophile has?