Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman,  our conversation, meaning just between the two of us, is the kind of conversation "aficionado's" have that proves they are who they claim to be, but is not really important in relation to John Coltrane's merits as an artist.

When he went out into the "wild blue" before a live audience, ( he played "MY Favorite Things" for at least half an hour). After 20 minutes the whole audience was beginning to get a "?" mark look on their faces. Elvin Jones looked at McCoy Tyner, who signaled "just follow me". I don't mean he gave a hand signal, but a look of confidence, like he knew what he was going to do. Otherwise these professional musicians would have looked silly.

As it was, "Trane" was out in the "wild blue", and they were playing something different, but coherent. At our table, my date looked at me, and I looked at the professional musician, who was a drummer.

She asked, "Is Trane on something". "No, he's perfectly clean" was his reply. He gave a professional musician explanation for what was going on that nobody understood. Fortunately, Trane came out of the clouds and all was back normal like it never happened; he was jamming with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones just like you see on the TV clips.

Enjoy the music.
O-10, thank you for your comments.  For me, there is ultimately far more value in disagreement leading to intelligent discussion than in agreement.  I must take exception with a couple of your comments.  The first is about the relevance of the "two minutes" in Coltrane's artistic development.  

I feel that those two minutes are hugely important.  They are the culmination of a remarkable artistic quest,  cut off (sadly, as in many cases in the jazz world) by his early passing.  It boggles the mind to think where he (and many other giants) would have gone had their lives not been cut short.  As such, those two minutes bring an invaluable perspective to everything that came before it.   The other concerns "our conversation".  I feel strongly about this; however, you, as the OP, are entitled to a different approach....I think.  I don't ever feel that any comments that I make here are intended "just" for any one individual.  There have been at least four posters participating in this latest discussion, and, as such, while my comments are in direct response to your question, they are meant for all who participate here.  A simple bit of honest, hopefully constructive commentary and nothing more.  Thanks again for your comments.  

Btw, re your dancing ability: I seem to recall a certain rain dance ☺️
O - Thanks for the Baden Powell recommendation.  Found Three Originals on Spotify (best $10 a month I ever spent) and have saved it.  Sonics are, again, VERY good...lots of air & space (not to mention virtuoso musicianship).  Thank you.

Returning the favor, I hope...
Track 1 from Carles Benavent's "Quartet".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAc-Zug06bA

Other tracks available on YouTube as well.

Have to say, I think Frogman is making a good point about the significance of those '2 minutes' from JC's career.  Though I think you phrased it that way only to stress there's more that unites about him than divides.  

On the other hand, too much mention already of my "Can you dance to it?".  That was a tongue in cheek effort to dumb things down and put another light on the music.  Is it "real"...is it "visceral"?   

I not only heard and saw those two minutes, but saw other people's reaction to those 2 minutes, and it was "?". Those two minutes were never explained, and I'm glad they were only 2 minutes. I can never relegate the same importance to those 2 minutes as you. BTW those same 2 minutes were repeated many times; whenever the urge hit.

While everybody reads whatever I post, at times they are primarily meant for one aficionado; some are trying to learn, while others already know. This is like having a discussion with those who are very advanced, and those who are just learning at the same time.

The artist I would pick in regard to seeing his advancement is "Charles Mingus"; he started out advanced. I remember buying an album simply because I liked the art work on the cover, and it turned out to be one of the best albums I ever purchased; it was "Mingus Ah Um"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mingus_Ah_Um

Not only was the art work unusual, but so was the title, and I wont even mention the artist. This was in 1960 and it was only released in 59; that means I was definitely up to date. Other aficionados didn't quite know what to make of Mingus at that time. (I laugh when I read how so many thought so much of Mingus at that time) Many said WTF at that time, believe it or not.

This thing called "you tube" is the most fantastic thing for me in my life time. I'm still learning about Mingus; what's so fantastic is that I'm learning what I thought I already knew. I just ran into something new for me, "Mingus at The Cafe Bohemia". By the time I quit learning what I thought I already knew, it'll be time for that final act, and the curtain will come down.

Enjoy the music.