Single ended vs xlr balanced

I have switched backwards and forwards (going slightly mad in the process) testing (long run) interconnects.
I know some sound engineers, and they tell me I am probably persuading myself that balanced is better than single ended and THERE IS NO REASON WHY SINGLE ENDED CAN SOUND INFERIOR TO BALANCED. Sorry to use capitals but this seem to be a fair summary of the be all and end all of technical discussion. If I was to guess however, my mind would tend to follow the technical opinion not go against it, surely? In my mind the balanced is a deeper more airy sound, just better presence all round. The technical response is that I am not comparing like with like, as the balanced runs at higher voltages and subsequently higher volume (6db). I had a shock at this news and found out therefore by accident that my Bryston 28bsst2s amps have a switch upping the output from 23 to 29db to compensate. Also did I hear properly that Bryston kit is set up preferring balanced? My processor is a Bryston sp3 so maybe my preferred balanced system  is what I needed anyway. But it is odd that a reputable company like Bryston would have such a policy (if it has foundation) and not stress that on their literature. If my system can be adjusted for speaker levels then volume output is irrelevant - or is it if that higher voltage has some effect?
And don't get me started on aes/ebu vs spdif! The aes to me is noticeably superior for the same reasons as the rca vs xlr debate. Then hdmi vs spdif ... (Time for my medicine ........)
So my question is - forgetting technicalities which can get more and more complicated by the minute  - do other peoples' ears agree with mine?
tatyana69
Good comments by Erik and Kijanki, as usual.

A clarification to comments a couple of people have made, to the effect that a fully balanced amp requires essentially two separate amps on one chassis, one amp for each polarity of the balanced signal pair. The implication being that twice as many parts are necessary than would be required for a comparable single-ended signal path.

That is one approach to implementation of a fully balanced amp. But another approach, which I suspect is used more frequently, is to use a differential stage, having differential inputs and differential outputs, for each of the active stages in the signal path.

See the section on "differential amplifiers" in this paper at Ralph’s Atma-Sphere site for a simplified schematic representation of a tube-based differential stage, and also for a summary of the advantages and disadvantages of that approach. Note this statement in the disadvantages section:
Differential amplification takes more parts to execute. For a given number of stages of gain, differential amplifiers have about 50% more parts.
Regards,
-- Al

Though it seems that the answer in the 1st post provided by aka_ca proves correct, I truly enjoyed the education I received via followup. Thanks!
Stringreen is spot on!  It didn't occur to me that someone would be discussing balanced cables who did not use differentially balanced equipment.  I use Krell and MIT kit.
Dave_b, the belief you and Stringreen have expressed (which Stringreen has also expressed in a number of previous threads), while being shared by many audiophiles, and while being true in many cases, is simply incorrect as a general rule.

Depending on the specific designs that are involved, and also in some cases on how AC power is distributed to the system (as I mentioned in one of my posts on 8-28-2016) a balanced interface may provide performance that is better than, worse than, or similar to the performance of a single-ended interface, even if the components involved do not have balanced internal signal paths. Several reasons for that have been cited in the course of this thread. For starters, see the post above by Mward, dated 8-29-2016, and the responses thereto.

Regards,
-- Al

The only absolute in this hobby is that there are no absolutes.

I’ve been down the balanced road and down the single ended road.
Just as with everything else in life, they all have their positives and negatives.