Is Audio nirvana real?

I think it is.  I m finally happy with my system! I'm done!
calvinj

mapman
13,658 posts
09-02-2016 5:41pm
Is your 10 ounce system your audio nirvana? Yes or no?

By eliminating power cords, ICs, speaker cables, crossovers, house AC, ground, transformers, fuses, etc. one realizes significant reductions in distortion and noise. In terms of sound quality as I’ve mentioned previously my portable cassette player outperforms my portable CD player in certain important areas, especially Musicality.

I'll vote Yes, map, geo....it's all very personal, after all is said 'n done....

Likely the only improvement would be for it to be surgically implanted and run from body heat.  Control would be an issue for awhile, but given the pace of tech some format would win the day.  Upgrades might be a bitch, but one must suffer Something in some way to 'improve' on Nirvana.

Besides, it couldn't be any worse than what some suffer now, what with cables, power cords, equipment types and designs, speakers and their inherent room placement/treatment, turntables, carts, DACs, on and on, anon....

I can see it now....

BorgAudio.  You ARE the System. ;)
Yes, it is real. But to get there, don't focus on getting systems that are accurate, have great imaging, or the various other characteristics that audiophools strive for. Search for a system that is MUSICAL above all else.  Only then will you reach that nirvana. This is a discovery I've made after many years of searching without not knowing what to look for.
Whether or not a 10 ounce portable system is my own private Audio Nirvana or not, as Mapman keeps nagging me to disclose, what I will say without fear of contradiction is that this TINY system (could it really be the smallest system in the world?) is VERY cost effective. The objective of this teeny system is not to be some uber audio nirvana system. Nothing like that, nor would I be so presumptuous. And as I said distortion and noise is inherently VERY LOW in the teeny tiny portable system, you know, what with the lack of transformer, fuses, house AC, etc. Audio cassettes sound VERY analog and CDs don’t sound too bad, either. Hel-loo! Audiophiles tend to go about things the wrong way sometimes - they get enamored with the idea of spending more and more when they could have gotten better results by spending less and less. No more aftermarket fuses, no more super fancy interconnects, no more uber pricey power cords, no monster speakers and their attendant cables. No more teacher’s dirty looks. And a tiny 10 ounce system can be tweaked to your heart’s content. Vibration Isolation, Dark Matter, Intelligent Chip, cryo’d CDs, cryo’d headphones, Morphic Message Labels, what have you.

Geoff Kait
machina dynamica
home of the Whopper