Durand record weight ha ha ha ha - and other crazy thing

I heard that a Durand record weight costs 3500 USD. - that is just bonkers - we are truly entering the twilight zone of hi-fi - sorry.
can anyone else think of similarly stupid products
lohanimal
One wonders if the Durand weight could be used with a top loader CD player like the Sony......hmmmmmm
Since some folks here are extreme dog lovers, and find no problem justifying a $150,000 dog collar, how about a roll of toilet paper for $1,376,900? Surely that is a necessity for all!!

http://incrediblethings.com/home/1-million-gold-toilet-paper/

God forbid an audio enthusiast spend $3500 on a record clamp though.
Not that I would, but I don't have a problem with someone buying a $3500 record clamp. Not in a world where  $1.4 million dollar toilet paper and $62 million dollar cars (gold Lamborghini Aventador) exist.

We live in a time when the rich have never been richer. Stupid rich.

This debate (like most others of its ilk) is conflating three very different topics. The first and least relevant topic is price, hence all the discussion of gold plated cars and diamond studded dog collars. The second is performance which for most of us I think is more important. The third topic is value, i.e. the combination of price and performance.

It is unclear if the OP was questioning just the price of the Durand clamp ("no clamp, however high performing could be worth that much"), or challenging its performance ("all clamps sound the same"), or thirdly combining the two and challenging its value ("you can get the same result with my home made clamp")

If we focus on the performance question alone then the appropriate framework is to conduct a shootout as I did of a $50 Michell clamp, versus a $250 Oyaide clamp, versus the $3500K (less substantial discount) Durand. And yes to me the differences were clear.

Next question is then value -- was it worth an additional $2.5K for the improvement over the Oyaide, well in the context of my system, my pocketbook, and where else I could spend the same money it was.

So there we have it -- price never entered into it. If the clamp had been gold plated (but the same performance) and cost $5K instead of $3.5K the value discussion would be different
Hi Nikola.

I assume that you don't own any dog (grin).

But I do own a black four legged critter again. Ever since I realized that Yogi was watching me in the woods. :^0
He can be seen on my virtual system. Not Yogi - my dog... 
Your reference to a piece of meat was bang on from mypersonal experience. Mind you, this summer our dog took fancy to my wife's cell phone lying there on a lawn chair, picked it up, starting prancing around with it, and threatened to take it into the lake. In this case sacrificing a peanut butter cookie instead of a piece of meat got it back.

Somehow I found myself on this fun thread - so I will provide my opinion.  

Unless a record weight was designed in as part of the tables design, I see them as accessories.

As one example of this, the designer of my table Mr. Verdier (RIP) - told me through email that La Platine was designed to be used with no mat and or record weight.  All external and record resonances, vibrations, what have you - are taken care of as part of its design. A lot of thought went into the table.
However.....

He knew audiophiles would use them anyway, and here I was asking him about it too. Well I was heavy into my Audiophilia Nervosa phase at this time. A few years ago now.  
So he said to me, and the manual for the table does say this. "if you choose to use a record weight the table supports 8 kg."

Happy listening.

ct0517, I am sorry for my obvious prejudice regarding dogs

preferences. I never owned a dog so , consequntly, I never

thought thay they like ''cookies''. You are not, I hope, vegetarian?

Otherwise we all will have  pity with your dog.