How many grams weight for mm cartridge?

I have Denon dp-45f TT with MM cartirdge. What is ideal standard weight I should start with? It came with 1.7 grams but I remember my father used to use only .5 gram for his TT. Please enlighten me...

gongli3
What cartridge do you have? Most carts will have a "range" of tracking force. I have always tracked most carts towards the higher end of that range.

I have setup hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of turntables and have never seen a cart that tracks at .5 grams.  I agree you can do a lot of damage tracking too low.
@mofimadness 

I have setup hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of turntables and have never seen a cart that tracks at .5 grams.

You may never seen Grace F9 cartridges (F-9F, F-9L, F-9U, F-9D) tracking force range is 0.5 - 2g. I agree that 0.5 is too low, i would say 1g minimum. 
You may never seen Grace F9 cartridges (F-9F, F-9L, F-9U, F-9D) tracking force range is 0.5 - 2g. I agree that 0.5 is too low, i would say 1g minimum.
I was a Grace dealer for many years and have owned several of the Grace cartridges, (actually I currently have a couple of F9E carts).  I have also setup MANY Grace carts through the years.

According to the F9 series manual which I just looked at, Grace doesn't give a range of tracking force, they recommend 1.2 grams.  So the .5 grams is not with a Grace F9 series cart...sorry.
gongli3, How does that cart sound at the manufacture's specs? If it sounds fine, why ask ? If it doesn't, try another setting.
The proper tracking vtf for any cartridge is the one that meets the design of the cartridge.  Look what the manufacturer says and consider it gospel.