Durand record weight ha ha ha ha - and other crazy thing

I heard that a Durand record weight costs 3500 USD. - that is just bonkers - we are truly entering the twilight zone of hi-fi - sorry.
can anyone else think of similarly stupid products
lohanimal
astro58go
185 posts
09-04-2016 2:34pm
I find that the need for a record weight's make-up is due to each individual recordings' misgivings, not the TT one plays that record on.

Interesting.  

To: geoffkait

You couldn't use this or any other clamp on a CD player because of the weight.

The CD mechanism is not designed for this

rogerabbit
7 posts
09-05-2016 2:01pm
To: geoffkait

"You couldn’t use this or any other clamp on a CD player because of the weight.

The CD mechanism is not designed for this."

I beg to differ, Mr. Rabbit. The Sony SACD player (I forget the model number) actually comes with a relatively heavy brass weight. Surely there are others. Besides all CD transports rattle like hell. They should do SOMETHING.

Astro58go

As far as ct0517's remark from his TT's manufacturer.. well, I did not find any relevance.

Astro58go
I just saw your comment. Allow me to elaborate better. I like talking shop even though I am not in audiophile mode anymore. Would however prefer tech talk be brought to a general thread..  

Lets acknowledge that with a record weight/clamp at least 2 things can be affected.

1) The TT performance itself - the gear aspect.

2) The musicians recorded performance on the lp. If your record is coupled well to the platter well (no slipping), whether you are using a weight or not, the presentation of the music should be good. Unless it is Kind of Blue  :^)   or other lp that has known speed issues. 

Prior to my communications with the manufacturer I was up to that point familiar only with traditional mechanical bearing turntables.  And, in my experiences to that point the bearing type played a big part in what we hear due to its resonances - especially with a record weight/clamp that is coupled to the spindle.
For example - change just the bearing type (material) the presentation changes. Change the fluid the bearing sloshes around in and again the presentation changes again.  Both 1 and 2 above can be affected by this. Anyone that has changed out the bearing material or its fluid viscosity has heard this.  Likewise using a good record, lets say flat to the eye and not visually off centered, does not slip based on what you hear;  the use of different record weights/clamps changes the overall TT sonic presentation - with mechanical bearing TT's.   Tweaking - imagine the possibilities for the audiophile.

Now I did not understand what the manufacturer meant until I experienced it personally myself. Magnetic and also air bearings ( I base this on my tonearm) provide a level of isolation over a traditional mechanical bearing. So the effects of a record weight itself not as evident in the "Gears" overall sonic presentation - category 1. Using a record weight/clamp became just a process to couple a record better to the platter to realize better recorded performance in the music - category 2. Not as much to tune the overall sonic performance of the turntable. My experience.

Hopefully that explains better where I was coming from with the comments. Either way enjoy your journey.
I was just trying to make known that when using my different weights/clamps on the same lp, I hear a difference. If I'm listening to a recording that has an overall warmth that suppresses detail or dynamics, I go with my stock VPI center weight as a replacement for my Stillpoints LP-1. (Of course, I'm referring to the use of flat lps.) I don't think one can say there is a "best" clamp/weight for every tt out there and for every recording out there. I tend to use them more as a tuning mechanism. The other point to my post was having the ability to try other options out for oneself.

( I'm not sure what geoffkait's reference above to my previous post that includes my total posts is suppose to mean. I'll leave it up to him to explain if he so chooses.)