Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

And what about this;

Btw, I think you shortchange others on this forum. There are many participants here who, for (I assume) various reasons, choose not to participate in this thread. I base that on comments I read made on other threads. Imo, it's always best to not make too many assumptions about what and how much one knows; personally, I prefer to focus on what I may not know.

These are your words, could you please expand on them; they allude to some mysterious reason others who are jazz aficionados choose not to participate in this particular thread; could you expand on your own words.

Frogman, this is your cup of tea, you could go back and forth on something like this for days on end. I can certainly see how others would get discouraged in watching this "bruha" that is not a productive, or enjoyable discussion about the music. That sounds like a very good reason not to participate in this thread.

Bird could have played everything that Trane played. The answer is a resounding NO.

Frogman, that is the most ludicrous statement you ever made. If the notes were on a saxophone, "Bird" could play them, plus "Bird's" music was comprehensible.

GAME OVER, you win

Enjoy the music

The purpose of this thread is to share our best musical experiences, so that we may increase our collections. While it states for "jazz aficionados", meaning those who have spent their entire adult lives listening to, and collecting jazz records, jazz is so ambiguous now, that sharing your best musical experiences is good enough.

Acman submitted some reggae by Bob Marley, who was at the top of his game when he left us; since he died doing what he enjoyed most, it wasn't all bad; there are worse ways to go.

This is not a thread for debating (arguing about who's the best) Since all music is "subjective", I can say who's the best, but if it doesn't qualify according to your musical ears and taste, it's moot.

However, since I have listened to and acquired jazz records all my adult life, I do hope that I have been instrumental in helping you to acquire records (CD's) that increase your enjoyment of the music.

I posted some "Bird" that might be too old, or not in the same groove as some tastes, and I'm sincerely curious about that; what did you think of those "Bird" posts?

Enjoy the music.