Tube amp Questions

Hi everyone

The questions are… What tube amp setup would you reccommend to incorporate into this configuration?

What do you look for in a good Tube Amp?

I like the HK 990. However I would like to move to the Tube end of things and experience that sound.

I know I will need to audition a few to see what sound I prefer. I just figured with all the knowlegde and experience on this forum a couple of you could suggest some give a listen to.

Looking at around a $3000 limit.

My current system is…

Harman Kardon HK990 intergrated

Revel F52 speakers

SVS PB12 NSD Sub

VPI Aries Scout with an Ortofon 2m Bronze mm cart

Herron VTPH 1mm phono preamp

Oppo 105D 

Belden BJC LC-1 interconnects

12 gauge, 87 strand, oxygen free copper speaker cables

The SVS Sub and VPI are nicely isolated. 

I'm going to upgrade the sub to a SVS SB13 Ultra. 

Thanks for taking some time out of your day to respond.

Peace,

Mark

meambler
I like adjustability and built quality of vintage tube amps:
Sansui 2000, Fisher 400, Marantz Model 8, Scott 292 or other Scott tube models.
VU meters of Marantz Model 8 are eye magnets and the whole faceplate as well.
Marantz Model 8 may cost you far more, but it will never loose a dime if you want to sell it and it sounds very strong with some solid state bass. Truly unique tube unit that's worth attention.

i found your speaker specs here:
http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/surround-sound-speaker-systems-reviews/revel-performa-f52-c52-s30-and-concerta-b120/

The F52 is a 6.5 Ohms nominal impedance speaker & they seem to have determined its sensitivity by inputing 2.83V. That input power is 1.23W instead of 1W. 10*log10(1.23) is 0.9dB. so, i would subtract 0.9dB from the 87.5dB sensitivity thereby making the F52 a 86.6dB/1W/1m speaker. That's not a very efficient speaker. At your listening position 10ft away (assuming you are at 10' away) your SPL would be in the 76.6dB with 1W output from an amplifier. 
I believe that you would need a large output tube amplifier to make the F52 yield its best. 
At 1st i was going to suggest a Rogue Cronus Magnum 2 integrated by after doing the math i don't think it will be sufficient. Sure you'll get music out of the F52 but it won't make the F52 sound its best. Maybe the Rogue Pharaoh tube hybrid at 185W/ch might cut it.....