Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Miles said the only thing that made a note right or wrong was the note played after it.
O-10, c'mon now, there was nothing "sneaky" about it; I think I was pretty direct about it.  It is the gross over-simplification of these topics that I think makes it pointless to discuss; that, and, as I said, the staunch adherence to certain misconceptions.  To use Bird as an example of these "special musicians" (which he of course was) and then dismiss Bird's own assertions about the relevance of "schooling" strikes me as highly ironic.  Beyond that, I don't disagree with your comments "back to the subject of music", I just don't understand what any of that has to do with your initial comment about practicing/rehearsing, your initial comment; it doesn't. This is what, for me, makes it pretty pointless to discuss; hence my comment.  Personally, I would prefer to comment on the Jarrett clip, the great drumming, or the "fly on the wall" moment that I pointed out.  

I always find it interesting to read what musicians had to say about other musicians. This is what Trane told Art Pepper, "Why don't you straighten up ? You have so much to offer. Why don't you give the world what you can?"

Art said Trane was so successful that everyone always expected him to be in the forefront. The music he had developed, he could no longer play because that wasn't new anymore. He was continually trying to change, and do the avant-garde thing. He strived so hard for this that it killed him.

BTW Frogman, Art seems to back you up in regard to practice; since he hadn't practiced before that recording, he knew it was impossible to carry it off, but it was already set up, and he had no choice but to go through with it.

Once when he was in the hospital, and couldn't pay the bill, Roland Kirk, and some other musicians got together and played to raise money and help him out. He says what's so unique about this is; he had never met Roland Kirk.

This is for Roland Kirk;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWPUKskCv7E

Enjoy the music.