Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
heard the whole line of CH gear up in NH and I hated it.  I don't love Wilson's to begin with, but they were the worst match up that's for sure.  

I am loving the QX5.  Have heard it a couple of times now and am waiting on mine.  I did hear the optical conversion that we are all talking about in Tampa last week. It was only on the Codex using Audeze LCD 2's and the EL8's (not my favorite can, lol) and also my Noble Savant's (the most neutral IEM/can I've heard to date, but not a bass head IEM, lol) and the sound was outstanding.  I was so impressed with this connection.  It used a hand made LPS (not as good as Empirical's I'm sure) on the end switch and I was blown away at how quiet it was.  It just sounded right.  

I think that like anything else, ti's all about sending the best signal to the DAC or preamp.  Matt started this thread with concern only about redbook.  Of course we are all over the place, but it's still about finding out the top DAC (for Matt) for redbook.  I feel strongly that the Ayre QX-5 needs to be put into the mix with Steven's new OSDX (based on the thoughts on one of you feeling it's the best DAC you've had in your system and you've had some of the best as well as most expensive).  I think based on your hearing, there are probably only a select few that are the 'best sounding DAC for Redbook'.  

My take away from this thread is:

1. Best Redbook DAC
2. Best server/streamer solution going into 'this' DAC
3. Best connection for the server/streamer
4. Best software for YOUR DAC/Server solution as all are different

What have I missed other than cabling and power cords and wood blocks as feet vs anything else as feet, lol.
Guys, I have to believe that the new Lampi Atlantic is in the mix.  PCM is handled R2R while DSD, as I understand it, utilizes the proprietary passive method used in GG (no FPGA or off the shelf chip).
I just demoed the Merging Technologies Nadac in my system for a few days. It's an Ethernet based DAC and sounds amazing. Very smooth and detailed with outstanding dynamics, great bottom end and absolutely no typical etched digital sound. Very analog like. 

JH901,

See recent posts in the Lampi Atlantic thread here in the Audiogon Digital forum for more feedback.

Looks like digital is really coming of age. So many great products out or coming-out.  The irony is that some companies are offering outstanding products, but are working on ref gear that isn't even out yet.  It's almost the opposite of releasing your ref gear first and doing the trickle down effect.  Seems like companies are working out the bugs etc.. on moderately priced gear and then upping the ante.  We all win either way.