Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Orpheus, man would thought that you may even know the guy, Earl Fatha Hines, he's been in jazz forever. Here is a nice double album that I can recommend, recorded live in Village Vanguard, with Roy Eldridge and Coleman Hawkins.
 Its called ' Grand Reunion' from 1965.
https://youtu.be/0fFG6j5wpWY

https://youtu.be/5e2rTrz8-Ic

Sound on cd is much better, than it may appear when man listens ytube clip

Alex, I didn't even know jazz existed before "Bird"; at least that's what my collection looks like. Now I'll have to correct that.

Evidently you didn't know about the back and forth banter me and Rok have had in regard to "Sweet Georgia Brown"; maybe he'll clue you in.

I liked his piano with P.G. better. It's a generational thing in regard to his overall concept of music; while I might like some things, his overall concept of music predates mine. I read where the pianist I like, thought very highly of Earl "fatha" Hines.

Enjoy the music.
Frogman,before all, please do not take any of my words ’ad hominem’.I had no doubt what so ever that you are very well aware of some of the facts I have said, or will say know, but you have chosen to believe in version that will keep you comfortable. That is your absoulte right and I respect that. However, I repeat myself, since you have had opposite mindset when you disscused music, somehow I expected (more) the same approach in other things (politics) .

There is a place and time for everything. Since this is american forum about music and I am from other continent, writing critic thoughts about politics is not the best way to make friends. So, I will try to make it short and only answer on some your thoughts. My first post was not comment about Cuba, aldo one could wonder how the decades of forced economic embargo had helped the unfortunate present state of things there.

However, you have chosen (imho) very limited perspective and even worse, it is very untrue. Does anybody really needs to explain that in present time. ’communisam’ is not the boogeyman any more? That statement is apsurd.
Trying to picture any country or any man (except those unfortunate one or two) as a ’close to that ideology’ is malicious and pure propaganda (aldo poor one)
That is a kind of statement that perhaps some tv house (fox?) may use, but that is excactly the thing that is wrong and what I described in my first post about media that I loath.
We should all try to rise above such way of ’disscusions’ and use arguments based on facts.

You find my comparation between ’export’ of ’democracy’ or ’communisam’ highly cynical. Even further, you insists that without a doubt, you are certain which is ’most important force for good on the planet’.
Such a claim is so highly inacurate ethicly, no matter that I agree with many things you have listed to support such a claim.
But, to use the term of ’Good’ and in same time close eyes on policy’s that have had commited such a long list of wrong doings on such scale by simply calling them ’theoretical details’ tells me that this ’disscusion’ is not only cynical, but pointless from the start. (like that is a surprise)
Again, ask your self (no need to answer me) would you still think the same if you do not have cuban experience, but let say, from a certain countries in ME. often mentioned in news in recent years? (leveled to ruins, by 'mistake')

some facts
http://revista.drclas.harvard.edu/book/united-states-interventions

I guess I could name around thirty more cases around the world that ended quite bad for people or countries who found them self on receiveng end.
It seems to me that logical conclusion would be that the most feared thing for average guy should be corporate fascism, forced and disguised as a interest of a state. However, that is only my perspective

That was very well written Alex; it's amazing how people who live here can not see the forest for the trees. It's best not to soil brains that have been washed spotlessly clean. Now we go back to the music.