Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Inna - with all due respect, I don't agree completely with your statement about Miles' bands being one man bands.  Sure, his influence must have been enormous but I do believe he gave his musicians (I almost wrote, "magicians") space to express their own individual voices.    

Correction to my last post: a classical musician has to have incredible talent and feel as well; except there is no music written down, and no repetition with an improvising jazz musician, and that's the primary distinction.

Any time a man can get on a stage and wow an audience of critical "hard bop" fans, playing extemporaneously, he has a talent beyond my comprehension.

No put down of classical musicians meant.

Enjoy the music.
Wanted to share a new music suggestion from Spotify’s Browse/ Discover function: Jazz Pistols.

Fusion from Germany (those madcap Germans, you know :-). Guitar, Bass, Drums. Instrumental (my preference). Latest album (on Spotify): Superstring (2010).  Haven't made up my mind about the music on it. Like the guitar tone (always a soft spot for a hollow body’s sound) and the bass player’s work in particular. Musicianship seems first rate. Not sure how "deep" the musical ideas are, however.  Will it bear up to repeat listening?

Here are a couple of studio live tracks: "Penguin" & "Twenty" (don’t judge the bass player by what he does on "Twenty", however!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN74GozqjBg&ab_channel=JazzPistols

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUOgGR78xA4&ab_channel=JazzPistols

It appears that there are no musical ideas at all there. Generally speaking, I think that Scandinavians have a much better sense of jazz and jazz fusion.
About Miles. I read, right or wrong, that after the 'Bitches Brew' he said to McLaughlin that he would be happy to have him in his band on a permanent basis and explore the new music together. At the same time he advised him to form his own band and continue independently. That's what gave an additional impulse to John's Mahavishnu Orchestra project.
"...no musical ideas at all there."

Huh.   Well, inna, I'm not prepared to say that yet.  Haven't made it through the entirety of Superstring but can say their music is growing on me.  Right now listening to Track 6 Smbh and liking it.  Only time will tell, however.  How often will I go back to listen to it?  In my experience the albums I didn't "get" from the start can be the ones that end up being keepers.  There seems enough complexity here to warrant some return visits.

Out of curiosity, other than McLaughlin/Mahavishnu Orch. & Miles Davis, who do you like?  That should provide some insights.