What tonearm will better mine?

I have been running a 12" Jelco SA750L with an upgraded Decca Super Gold on a Garrard 401 for a few years. I'm happy with the sound and happy with my pre, power and speakers. (Croft 25R, EICO HF35s, -good tubes, Quad 57).
I keep hearing that my tonearm is a weak link even though it sounds pretty awesome to me. What would it take to replace the Jelco and make a significant improvement? What should I expect to hear better? Would I have to drill the massive plinth? Thanks.
128x128noromance
No real comments on the Jelco vs. other arms. I’m happy with my 750D and have read a few reports from users who went upmarket and, in the end, still felt the Jelco was great value so I stick with it.

Raul’s suggestion is a good one though if you don’t want to spend big money. One tweak that I have found to be very worthwhile with my 750D has been the Ammonite Acoustics mounting collar, which eliminates the slight slop in the OEM collar and ensures correct positioning of the arm as it relates to azimuth. Very important with more exotic stylus profiles.

I also recently changed out the stock Jelco headshell to a Yamamoto HS4 Carbon Fiber headshell. This was a real eye (or ear) opener: pretty substantial improvements across the board in information retreival, overall presentation and dynamics. A no brainer for about $100 U.S. on ebay.

I've had the Mint LP protractor for a number of years and it is indeed very good, and important with respect to getting the best out of one's arm and cartridge. 
Another option is the Ortofon RS 309D. I have heard the Jelco, Ortofon and EMT all on the same table with the same cartridge. I would rank the Ortofon better than the Jelco and the EMT better than the Ortofon
Thanks again. What improvements did you experience?
I imagine improved tonal color and bass definition with an increase in dimensionality...
@noromance not sure which cartridge do you have, but the Schick "12 tonearm was made especially for Ortoron SPU! For your Garrard 401 it would be a perfect match with low compliance cartridges, but for normal cartridges (5-10g) you need lighter counterweight. The Schick is the most ellegant tonearm on the market today imho. Here is a picture of mine.

The only problem with Schick is that you have to wait 4-5 month in line for tonearm when you buy new from Schick. 
Chakster, nice set-up. Thanks for tge info. What improvements would there be over the Jelco with my Decca SG-P?