Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Inna, on the "real side", about reels, unless you can buy an almost new one, or have an unlimited budget, this might be a good way to go, at least it's worked for me for a number of years.

I have a service manual for my Technics RS 1500 US 2 track, and I've been able to repair it without sending it off; that's because it's easy to work on.

My new problem is tape tension, and the manual tells what to adjust to cure it.

There is no way I would buy a used deck without repair being in the same town I lived in. Things have gotten so bad in regard to repair that you can't find anybody to fix any thing like tape decks in a city as big as St. Louis, and that includes the surrounding "Burbs".

When I can no longer repair this one, that's the end of the road.

Good luck.

Orpheus10, you are too pessimistic. Yes, it would cost, and shipping RTR deck has its risks, but it's worth it. There is no end of the road. If I get Otari and at some point will have to ship it to Japan to properly service it, I will ship it to Japan. The same with Studer. I will find places in Europe if I can't find them in the US or Canada.  My audiophile fund is quite limited, but I will save up and get it done. It might take time to find qualified people prepared to deal with shipping decks, I'll find them. For now I am about to ship my Nakamichi 682ZX deck to Willy Hermann in California to have it cleaned aligned and for minor repairs. He will spend 5-6 hours with the deck to make sure everything is in top condition. Yes, it would cost me around $850 including shipping both ways. But I play the deck a lot and have to do it only every 5-7 years.
So, things are pretty bad but not that bad.
Also, if it is really bad with money, I have a few records and a few older pieces of equipment that I could easily sell if I have to, this would give me extra $1k-$1.5k. Hell, I could even sell couple of my custom knives that I would replace later. I could buy a good looking Otari for about $1k right now but I won't because of extra expenses. This would be a serious project not just getting another source. Generally speaking, I don't care much about vinyl, it is an excellent medium for archive, I only like tape.
I think, that before this Studer/Otari project I will want to replace my phono stage, which is pretty good, with a great tube one, and then replace the cartridge. After that I will be ready. But, I could do it in the reverse order too, I guess. I don't have to decide it right now. But eventually there will be no turntable or cd player in my main system, only RTR deck, amps and speakers. Turntable and cd player will be in another system or in the closet until needed.