Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Ghosthouse, if you don’t know this guy’s playing it might be more up your alley. Amazing prodigy as a child this French, Django Reindhart-influenced guitarist is an interesting and exciting player in a variety of styles from Gypsy swing to fusion:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs_qP1vT3Cw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ROlGn_dZuo

O-10, great clip; loved it. What would I call it? R&B.   Some would refer to some R&B as "soul jazz".  
You said Hank Crawford was "soul jazz".

From Wiki (if you won’t take my word for it 😉):

++Soul music (often referred to simply as soul), is a popular music genre that originated in the United States in the late 1950s and early 1960s. It combines elements of African-American gospel music, rhythm and blues and jazz.++

Also from Wiki:

++Rhythm and blues, often abbreviated as R&B or RnB, is a genre of popular music that originated in the 1940s.++

What do both descriptions have in common? "Popular". Isn’t that what I wrote? Actually, I said "leans toward pop". But, neither would I call jazz. That’s not to say Crawford didn’t sometimes play jazz; he did. The influence of R&B players on pop and Smooth Jazz players is undeniable; which is what I wrote. Thanks for the great clip.
Just listened to my one and only Hank Crawford CD.  A twofer.  Two LPs on one CD.   'Mr Blues' and 'Mr Blues plays lady Soul'.

No need for wiki.  Some of the tune list:

On a Clear Day
Route 66
Lonely Avenue
Soul Serenade
Ain't No Way
Baby I Love You
Going Down Slow

He plays a lot of popular music.  But it's a lot more Jazzy, and enjoyable, than most of the recent posts.   His tune selection, not his playing, reminds me of Houston Person or Bernard Purdie.  

Cheers

Both of the LPs I have are on you-tube.

I always thought Smooth Jazz meant,  no quarter, eighth, or sixteenth notes allowed.

As far-fetched as it sounds, I could be wrong.

Cheers