Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Admittedly kinda late to the party, but wanted to weigh in on this. I understand completely what @frogman is getting at; and for the record, I would call what's in @orpheus10 's Hank Crawford youtube post some form of soul jazz. No doubt, Hank was one of the best.

Also agree with observation about his influence on David Sanborn, although I never really thought about it that way. I caught Sanborn a few years back at Yoshi's San Francisco, and if I remember correctly, he gave homage to Maceo. My wife really likes him. We also saw Gerald Albright at the same venue, as he is one of her favorite artists (good show, BTW). You get the idea. At any rate, this seems to be a discussion about derivations on a theme  ... whether it's jazz-funk, smooth jazz, new jazz, or soul jazz for that matter. To me, there's jazz and then there is everything else. With all due respect, label it what you will, but please don't call it jazz. I mean no disrespect to any of the regulars on this thread. So please forgive me if that appears a little strong.

I have been incredibly blessed to have seen/heard many of the greats in this genre - from Adderley to Zawinul. One of my very early and fondest memories was being in the audience in '71 at a concert featuring Roland Kirk, Gerald Wilson, and Lee Morgan. Along the way there's been a sampling of so-called "smooth jazz" (which I enjoy) and soul jazz, like the stuff that CTI was putting out in the 70's and 80's. When I went to those clubs/shows to see/hear Hank Crawford, George Benson (when he first started singing), Stanley Turentine, Grover Washington, Esther Phillips, Johnny Hammond, and Lonnie Smith ... it was mostly because the women I dated at the time liked "new" jazz, but they didn't care for real jazz.

What always struck me were those times when Grover, George, or Stanley played some of their old stuff - "straight ahead" jazz ... I was really diggin' it. Then the crowd would grow restless and bored. But they came alive as soon as there was something you could clap to or snap your fingers. It was during those times that I came to realize that many of those artists played that type of music because it was generally more popular and therefore, more profitable. Think of the transitions Wes Montgomery and Bird made, playing popular music with strings in order to make a living.

As far as I can tell, so very few ever had much commercial success playing straight ahead jazz. Other than Miles or perhaps Herbie, I can't think of any. That is really a shame. Over the years, many Bay Area jazz-only clubs came and went ... like Kimball's, Keystone Korner, Jazz Workshop, El Matador, Mandrakes, The Both/And; and these all came well after the Black Hawk. I loved those places. Now Yoshi's SF is the latest casualty. They featured a mix of folks like Branford, Roy Hargrove, Terence Blanchard, as well as the Yellow Jackets and Spyro Gyra. But it's hard to remain commercially viable when Diana Krall is the only artist to sell out the place.

Well, I guess that's it. I'm pretty well "ranted out". Thanks for your time; and again, pardon me for hijacking the thread and going off on a bit of a tangent. I'll go back to the sidelines now and take in the commentary. You guys keep on doing what you're doing. It's much appreciated. Happy Listening!

Rok, I'm with you on Hank, that's why I suggested we investigate; all or none at all on this trip. Whose ready to go?

Stratehed, I really wish I could have been on any one of those sets.

A local musician by the name of Eddie Fisher could really jam, I went to see him at a place called Mothers every night he performed. Realizing he would have to go on the road and leave his superfox wife, in order to make a living as a jazz musician, he opted to stay in St. Louis, where a musician has to play "hill billy" or whatever the crowd wants, that's what he did. So I can really understand a jazz musician playing dis dat and the other thing.

Are you with us on this Hank Crawford journey?

Frogman - Thanks for those links. Never heard of the guy. It is mind-boggling how many VERY talented people God put on this planet. Amazing.

Am I losing it or just becoming "brainwashed" :-)...in the first link, would you consider that a traditional jazz guitar sound? I liked it more and thought while similar sounding, it was fuller than the sort of muted sound from the Pats, Kenny Burrell and Wes. That does seem like a huge hollow body so maybe that explains what I heard. Or I could just be mistaken.

In the second link where he’s playing solid body electric, his bandmate is playing soprano sax, right? Now that sounded really good to me. It sounded flute-like to my ear not something I associate with soprano sax!

I can see why you would think the guitar work more "my cuppa" seeing how it’s much more of a rock guitar sound. Obviously very talented but do you think he’s a bit "sloppy" (for lack of a better word)...seems to me like he drops notes at the end of a few of his solo runs. Maybe i’m being overly critical. I am very intrigued by that woodwind, whatever it is.

Thanks again.

PS - Thanks for the Wes Montgomery, "The Incredible Jazz Guitar...."  I'm back listening to it.  Wes has something to say that's worth listening.  What I especially like about him is his sense of economy.  AND it is Tommy Flanagan on piano.  Great combination, those two.  A really excellent recording...might have to buy it (contrary to what I said previously).
Strateahed, you obviously have something to say. I certainly would like to read it more often.

Ghosthouse, I dont mind you caling me ’Acman’ as long as you listen to suggestions.
Here is another one, already posted it here, the guitar that you might like more than 'straight' jazz sounding ones

Ivan Joe Jones
https://youtu.be/kUVNIJl6h38?list=PLQex93r41WkEtAKa6U75DHcs6gv1itT3Y