Digital media server/players for a Skeptic?

I have all my music on a windows pc running itunes.  I mainly use airplay to listen on my apple TV connected to my receiver.  I then often use an ipad to change tunes and such.  My receiver also has airplay and sometimes I use that but can't really tell any difference between it and itunes. 

I do hate itunes though.  Slow, crashes a lot, hard to really manage a lot of files (~35,000 songs).  My music is mostly coded using whatever the highest rates of MP3 are. VBR 320 or something.  And I've given up on the various tools that try to fill in missing tags.

My current system is Ascend Sierra 2 mains, orb sides, Marantz 5009 receiver, Rega TT, nad preamp, nad cd player.  I will probably upgrade the marantz next year.  Don't even ask me about my interconnects.  I am not a belieber in the audio hoodoo. I use good cheap wire and cables.

So how much sound quality difference and usability/convenience do some of these music servers, decoders, whatever the heck they are really offer over using apple TV? 

Thx!

wolfernyc
MM does a very nice job with iPods. :)

It also lets' you select what music to synch and which not to.  I try to avoid synching classical to my car iPod for instance. :)

Best,

Erik
Personal experience...

The first streamer/player I purchased was an Olive One 500gb (I think) then shortly afterward the 1TB model. It was easy to rip, easy to playback, sounded decent enough. Almost. It's appreciably small physically, the interface is very easy to figure out, but I grew tired of swiping my finger on its face. 

I then tried a Bluesound Vault2, a very good product with impeccable sonics and ease of use. Triple the price or more of the Olive. I had a lot of difficulty getting the Node to respond to the Vault without adjustments, so I gave up. 

Now before I mention the product I found the best for my needs/wants allow me to preface it by relating that while I'm no stranger to computing, I find adding computers to my stereo setup requires a learning curve inherent to computing in general. And let it be said that players/streamers ARE computers, not analogue components. If one thinks it's just buying another piece and tapping it into your two channel setup, one would be woefully incorrectimundo. 

I wanted good sonics, simplicity of use, an easy interface. The winner IMHO? The Sony HAPZ-1ES with the 1tb hard drive. It's the largest of the products I mentioned, a typically sized component that mates well with the look of your average separates setup. (If you've gone separates)  This is the first anything Sony that I've allowed into my two channel setup over the years, in fact I've not had a Sony other than the original Walkman way back...when. 

Also, you can find this selling for considerably less than its $1995 msrp currently.  Mine was a demo for $1200. Money well spent. 
I built my own music server out of a mini PC with Xubuntu and Logitech Media Server. It’s great for Internet radio and my ripped music. For Tidal I like to use my Oppo 103 though, it has a nicer interface.

Total cost for a 2TB server was around $650 with optical output.

Your next receiver probably have optical and/or USB inputs, but if not, make sure you build your PC with optical digital outputs.

LMS has iPhone and Android apps as well as a browser interface.

I’d start with that first for convenience and value.

But for sound quality.... I think you should go listen. If dealers near you can’t excite you about a different approach, like an all tube system for instance, or really good speakers, you are done.  Another thing for you to listen to are really good headphones and headphone amps. Compact, not fussy at all and very high value.