Using tube amp with electrostatic speakers.

Moons ago I started similar discussions and thought I had been given enough good advice not to approach the subject again. Here goes anyway. I've used Martin Logan electrostats for well over 30 years with quite a few different amps but have recently switched to a tube amp and dynamic speakers with which I am very satisfied.  It consists of the Cary Rocket 88R amp and Serie Reference 3 speakers. 

My brother was visiting last week and was so impressed with the sound that he decided that he might want to try a tube amp also (probably the same one as mine).  However, he is using a pair of SL3's that I gave him years ago and I'm concerned primarily about the current requirements of the Martin Logans as well as other concerns that I'm not thinking of.  I don't want him spending money on something that may not bring him improved sound so would appreciate more advice to pass on to him.  He currently uses a Rogue Audio SS amp with his SL3 speakers and, to me, it sounds very good. 
jimbreit
^^ to further build on that, many transistor amps can't continue to increase power into low impedance loads like 0.5 ohms. Further, the speaker cable itself becomes a significant factor when dealing with impedances like this!!

This works in ML's favor to help tame high frequencies, because the impedance curve of any ESL is not also an efficiency curve. What I mean by this is that if you put a watt into the speaker at its four ohm impedance level for a given output you should not be seeing 8 watts into the 0.5 ohm impedance level to get that same output level.

It is this 10:1 impedance ratio which is why tube amps are usually favored on ESLs as they tend to be less bright and there is a better ability to play bass. The brightness in this case is a simple frequency response error caused by a solid state amplifier's tendency to act like a voltage source (which is another way of saying that it tries to put out the same voltage regardless of what the load impedance is). By setting the impedance as low as they have, ML has limited the ability of most amps to be too bright, but I suspect various users will find that a lot depends on the amp and the speaker cables.

Erik, Roger Modjeski is indeed currently offering his own self-designed and built ESL speakers with his tube amps connected to them without output transformers. Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area wishing to hear them can do so at Roger's new facility.
@bdp24

That's fantastic! For several reasons.  First, proves I don't make stuff up, which most readers think I do.  Next I am actually in the Bay Area so I'd love to.

Best,

Erik
I used a pair of Ralph's 60 watt mono blocks to drive my Acoustat Four's for a few years. Under powered for sure ... but oh my God, that mid-range!! To die for! 

The Atmosphere amps were on loan from a friend and I ended up using an ARC Classic 60 to drive those speakers. Still under powered with better bass. The speakers are long gone, and the Classic 60 is my spare amp ... just in case. :-)
Hi, I do have the Sl3 and used a Dared DV200 monoblocks and that speaker never sounded so good but the amp has to be re-tube every 1 ~1.5 years and it so painful because it uses 6 kt88 per monoblock. I still have it tho. I used the Krell FPB300 with no problem but a subtle inferior in the highs. There is nothing like a powerful tube amp on electrostatic speakers.