Help, my system sounds lifeless!

Hi, this is my first post.  I rushed putting my system together when i emigrated from the UK to New Jersey.  In fact this site was partly to blame as i was attracted to the amazing  "used" deals!  I bought a pair of Dali Helicon 400 (mark I)  as they passed the WAF.  The rest of the system contains a Belles Soloist Integrated and Simaudio Equinox SE CD player, wireworld platinum eclispe 6 interconnect & Audio Art Cable Classic SC-5 Speaker Cable.  My room maybe partly to blame but generally the system sounds lifeless, with little soundstage (better when i play vinyl).  I am not feeling/falling in love with the speakers and do not like the bass response (which is often reported).  I would like to change the speakers and was wondering if you could help.  I have an extremely large cd collection (and have recently bought a used Lumin D1, but unfortunately not set up yet) covering all kinds of music.  I am thinking 8ohm with better sensitivity would be a better option.  Looking to spend around $3000-4000 used.  Some contenders include Revel F206 or F208, Tannoy DC8 or DC8T, ATC SCM40, JA Pulsars (maybe too much $), PBN Liberty, Aerial 10T (never see them used) but they must have grills as sometimes kids go in the basement.  Maybe Monitors with stands would be better option?  I am hoping the flickr link works so you can see my room (excuse the feet!).  I want to fall in love with my large music collection again!  Looking for good bass & soundstage and speakers that can play all kinds of music (sometimes I'm partial to deep electronic music).  In some ways because my taste is so vast i am not particularly looking for ultra revealing speakers (Nora Jones speakers i think you call them!).  Looking forward to the NY audio show so i can hear some systems.  Thanks for all the help, cheers Paul  https://www.flickr.com/gp/97665913@N06/a5G6d9
spoutmouzert
Another very nice speaker for a small space is the Gershman Chameleon. A relatively small floor standing 2 way speaker with incredibly good detail, very nice with strings, vocals, horns and percussion and present a convincingly deep and wide stage. They also have very good base - full and punchy, down to about 32 HZ, so may not need a sub. If still available, they sell new for around $2,200.00 and sometimes can find used for around $1,000.00. I've had and listened to speakers that cost much more money that didn't sound as good. 
Good luck with your Quest.
 Hello, dont expect too much from Dali,  If you  have time in November
5-7 you have to visit NY Audio Show , Come over Room 807 
It's a picture, I can't tell how big or small the room is.

Spout, could you post the dimensions and take some pics from all directions.? People are telling you your room is too small, we can't tell, he could have 10 feet behind where he is sitting. It looks like you might benefit from some better setup. Read up on the different methods for speaker setup. The room acoustics should be addressed. It might help to get that cabinet out of there. You could set your gear up on the left, if you clean up those shelves. Yes, that might involve getting longer speaker cables.
Do you live near any audio shops? If so, go in and listen, if you like the store, find out if they will let you bring in one component at a time, and put it into the system they used that you liked. I don't know any of your gear. Could be one big mismatch. I recently heard a system using a Moon dac, I didn't like it. Your CD player was reviewed in 2004, it may be part of the problem. I don't think you will find what you are seeking, by changing speakers, without hearing them and others.
Get the Lumin set up, see if it sounds better than the CD player.
We all have our preferences, but I won't recommend specific gear, not without knowing more about the room.

Going to the audio show is a good idea.
These are new & different items/brands items, purchased when you moved away from the UK?

What did you have in the UK and was it at all lifeless?

Besides component choice (and the possibility that your listening enjoyment was shattered by falling onto a hard brexit), "My room maybe partly to blame" is a very likely issue.  Shape is one issue, but size may be forcing you to listen in near-field conditions.

The cheapest thing is to try some room treatments, and it is possible to use wall hangings, tapestries etc that will be allowed in by your wife.  Those can address treble - traps will likely be needed for mids/lows.  A spectrum analyzer is your friend.  And time - lots and lots of time.

Small speakers, as noted above, could be the salvation here.  Or try a half bottle of whiskey before listening ...
Go to myspeakersetup.com for a solution to your problem. Why would anyone suggest curtains and wall hangings to help deal with "lifeless" sound? Those deaden the room, don't they?