Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** This immediately followed Orpheus’ Wiki post about your International Sweethearts of Rhythm). (Where do you find this stuff?!) *****

I found a signed  photo of the band while going through family photos and news clippings. Google did the rest.  I also knew of the Piney Wood School because a friend of the family, who became  B.B. King's first wife, attended that school.   Quite a famous school back in the day.

***** .though I don’t know if I agree with all; e.g., Blues IS a musical form that can be found in a text book, but it’s way more than that...a legacy derived from a vanishing culture tied to important period of American history *****

That's what I said.

Cheers

***** call it the SRV Texas Blues. Will that work?*****

Alas, 'Texas Blues' is a legitimate branch of the blues.   For some reason there are quite a few Blues players in Texas of his Ilk.  Started with that 'Big Brother and the Holding Company'  woman.   Can't recall her name now.

But, what the hell.   If Blind Lemon Jefferson does not complain, it's OK.

Cheers
Alex - I gotcha.  This seems like another of those quick sand/subjective areas - maybe.  Kinda like Rok and Orpheus discussion about what constitutes (authentic) blues.  Leastways, it seems that way to me.  

I'd be real interested in something you would nominate as an example of insincere blues...not trying to pick a fight, just curious (I certainly don't doubt they are out there).

Yes -understood.  I did not think your music links were intended as examples of "bad blues".