Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I wonder (not!) what the reaction would be if someone were to suggest that black people can't play Classical music?  Our perception of "authenticity" in any music cannot be separated entirely from our individual life experiences and resulting biases (and, in some cases, feelings of guilt).  When you get right down to it, what is the difference, at their core, between the feeling conveyed by the blues as performed by the great black blues artists and the feelings in any traditional ethnic music of any other culture which expresses similar feelings about that people's troubles and woes.  To my way of thinking "the blues" is universal.  Anyone listen to Shostakovich or Lecuona lately?  It's the blues....in their respective cultures.  

++++“I'm a bluesman moving through a blues-soaked America, a blues-soaked world, a planet where catastrophe and celebration- joy and pain sit side by side. The blues started off in some field, some plantation, in some mind, in some imagination, in some heart. The blues blew over to the next plantation, and then the next state. The blues went south to north, got electrified and even sanctified. The blues got mixed up with jazz and gospel and rock and roll.”
― Cornel West, Brother West: Living and Loving Out Loud, A Memoir++++

++++I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed on both counts, but I never noticed.
B. B. King++++

++++The Blues is Life.
-Brownie McGhee++++

++++Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art.
-Charlie Parker++++

For the second time in a single day, I'm forced to agree with you. Now if I could just match Rachelle's voice with Jacintha's whatever, I would have it all in one woman.

Not that Rachelle is bad looking, she's good looking, just not exotic.

Some might say Rachelle's version of "Autumn leaves" is over the top, but I like "over the top" this time; especially the way she does it. That group is boss.

You're doing such a good job keep em comin.

I'm enjoying the music.

Ghosthouse, no need to apologize as far as I am concerned.  You are new to the thread and I assure you that as "drama" is concerned this "blues" episode didn't even move the needle.  Feel free with what you write.  As provocateurs go, you are a saint (so far 😊).  I do hope you understand that my earlier comments were not critical of you in any way; au contraire.

Personally, I wouldn't mind one bit staying on the subject of the blues.  

***** I wonder (not!) what the reaction would be if someone were to suggest that black people can't play Classical music? *****

I have seen several Black folks playing classical music in symphony orchestras on TV and the internet.   I only know of one Black person that performs Classical music as a soloist.  I am excluding Opera.

So, why are there not more Black soloists?  Could it be that playing off a score in a large group is different than putting your own take / feelings into well known pieces that will grab Classical audiences?  Could it be that European folks have more of an affinity for the music?  I defer to the Oracle of NYC.

Cheers