Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Could imagine some black pepper with that...

Yes - I've been checking in here periodically over the years.  Sometimes the family squabbles are entertaining.  Sometimes a little tedious.  Rok do have attitude (or, as they would say in NE Phila., at-tee-tood) along with some strongly held positions.

But enough of this chitter chatter...
Check out the Jazz Pistols recording, "live".
From the opening crowd noise, sounds like a small venue. The SQ is very good.  So is the playing.  

Jim Carrey is genius.  The "out take scene" in the bakery at the end of Bruce Almighty when he does Sammy Davis Jr. singing The Candyman is screamingly funny (well, it was to me).  I looked on-line but those unused bits ain't quite as good as what I recall being in the movie.    
B.B. King and SRV:

This is an example of a phenomena that is played out across this country all the time.  I will explain in a moment.

First ask yourself this question:   Under what circumstances or scenario do you see B.B. King commenting on SRV?

1.  Is he a big fan of SRV?   Owns all his records.   Praises him at every opportunity?

2.  Did he see SRV perform Live, or on TV and then jumped up and called the media to tell them what a great blues player he is?

3.  Was he asked by a member of the media, or interviewer, to comment on SRV?

Since you are an Oracle, you already know the answer.   For the sake of any mere mortals that  may be watching, the answer is #3.

Why would they do that you might ask.   Well, it's done all the time, esp if it's an interracial thing.

IOW, The black person at the top of their profession, will be asked to comment on, up and coming, or lesser whites in the same profession.

Also, The white person at the top of their profession will be asked to comment on, up and coming, or lesser blacks in the same profession.

The comments will always be positive and encouraging.

It's a seal of approval type thing.   It's a game that's played by the PR folks.   If Mingus says you can play, YOU CAN PLAY!!  That will be printed a billion times in countless articles.

I have other examples but this is too long.

Cheers

***** he will post clips (for God knows how many times) of a third rate swing big band "(Sweethearts"), or ridiculous scat singing, *****

The Sweethearts were not third rate.  Only a person with zero knowledge of music history would make a silly statement like that.   They represented people that overcame almost impossible odds, to do something great.  After all, this was 1930's Mississippi.   This should be enough to call your position as Oracle into question.  
'
Ridiculous Scat singing??   I have never thought of the Ferrell clip as scat singing.  I realized she did it, but that was not what the clip is about.   What it was about is passion.  I know that is foreign in your type of Jazz, but quite common in other types.

Sometimes you Oracles can't hear the music for the critical analysis. 

Cheers
***** Okay...the NYC oracle = Frogman. Personally, I’d be adding him for a consult on matters of taste too (just saying’).*****

Why am I not surprised? (Just Saying)

Cheers

Although we've gone back and forth on various issues, each person sees "reality" only from their point of view; therefore whenever the discussion is over, nothing seems to have been gained.

For example; Frogman is forever talking about musical technicalities, while I couldn't care less if the musician couldn't even read music, because I sense music, I feel music, and he sees music as it could be written. Which is why he's always talking about the "objective".

Assuming we're all "audiophiles" to some degree; it takes 95% objective rationale and reasoning to build a speaker or amplifier, but we judge and purchase it based on primarily "subjective" reasons; we like the way it sounds.

I don't know squat about music, nor do I need to know. How much do any of you know about designing a "crossover"? Do you feel that you need to know something about crossovers? Of course you don't need to know about crossovers to enjoy your rig. Neither do I need to know squat about music in order to enjoy it.

Since I'm an electronics technician, I listen more objectively than you; but that's only when I want to make an improvement or detect something wrong; I really don't enjoy the music listening in that fashion, I would much rather get absorbed by the "soul" of the music.

So much of the music eludes someone who listens in a technical fashion, that it's easy to see how they would have trouble understanding someone who simply gets absorbed in the essence of the music; we each have our own unique reality.

Enjoy the music.