Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, although not exactly new, there's nothing not to like about Diane Reeves and Jimmy Smith. That might be the best version of Afro Blue.

Alex, out of the three you submitted, I liked "Travlin Light" the best; I had almost forgotten how mellow Ben Webster sounds. Thanks to you I'm going to put that on my "Playlist" so I don't forget it again. That tune captures the essence of a bygone day; while I knew about Ben in regard to that time, I was unaware of Zawinul as a compliment; this is different from anything I've heard from Zawinul.

Ghosthouse, Rhoda Scot is new to me; now I have to decide which out of the three links I like the best. I definitely liked the first one the best; she wasn't smart enough, and hadn't been a musician long enough to know about technique, she just came on with a whole lot of "soul".

Frogman, this might be the first time I ever mentioned a recording problem; maybe it was because I was listening with headphones, it almost sounded like two bands playing at the same time; headphones don't sort out too many instruments very well, other than that I liked it. I'll listen to it on the rig sometime. Dave liebman, "Loft Dance".

Ghosthouse, I've got many records with Ralph Towner as a side man, this might be the first time as leader. Jan Garbarek, is unmistakable; he has a very forlorn sound, like some icy wilderness, but he's different on flute. That record definitely has the ECM sound. I guess when I get in an ECM mood, I'll get all my old records out and play them all along with that one; definitely a mood thing.

Frogman, you're going to see Rene Marie; I don't ever get to go anyplace, could you take me with you?

Rene Marie is the newest voice that impresses me, I'll have to get some of her CD's.

Enjoy the music.

****I know anything I say starts an argument, but Alex seems to be the least affected by the media hype, brain washers; by that I mean a person has to do independent research to find facts****

O-10, you are absolutely correct with one of the points in your comment; and, absolutely mistaken with the other.  (") I don't want to start a new discussion ("), so I will leave it at that and, if it matters, you can figure out what I mean.  A friendly sugestion for the better health of this thread and its main topic: stop baiting by throwing out little snippets of provocative commentary and then "innocently" running for the (music) hills; or, simply open up the discussion to the new topic and encourage respectful discourse.  Iow, please consider staying clear of provocative topics; or not.  Btw, the first sentence of this paragraph is simply an example of what I am talking about.  To the hills myself:

"Loft Dance": A recording problem from ECM?!  Unlikely, imo.  I just listened to it again for the ?th time and I don't hear anything that I would consider a recording problem.  I am sure you hear something there, so could you be please more specific about what you hear and describe it in more detail?  

Rene Marie: Sure, I'll take you; as long as you promise to keep your "crowd surfing" to a minimum ☺️

"Loft Dance", On headphones, the tenor sax overshadowed everything else in one spot; but it was on the center channel on the rig; there was a good aggregation of instruments that complimented the music, I liked it.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, could you post whatever you posted where people who were obviously on the lower economic rung were singing; it was music that was specifically Cuban, they sounded good, especially since there were no instruments to accompany them.

Thank you
Frogman, I am quite sure that Orpheus will giggle reading this, but if you have recognised the ’bait’ why did you have to answer it?

This way you made me involved, again, in ’discussion’ that I choose not to participate, except for the first post addressed to you.
But, after that, you must have noticed, that I have never answered to some of ’questions’ you have asked, because of few simple reasons.

First, of course,this is a thread about jazz, after all, despite its loose form and some of the things said, by some particapants, that might be considered as ’politically incorrect’.

Second, aldo I respect not only the things you say, but also the way you are sharing your thoughts, I have come to the conclusion after our last ’discussion’ that (when it comes to politics) your perspective and opinions are not wide or deep (are that the proper terms?) in a way that your perspective is, or the whole attitude toward seeing ’bigger picture,’ when you discuss music.
That came as an unpleseant surprise, in a way and in the moment when I have realised that, I decided that is better to stop any potential ’disscusion’ that might go that way.
Because, its pointless (our ’positions’ are too wide apart) and we could only
poison the pleasant relations that we have here, and we are already short in numbers.

And now you have felt the need to mention, (not directly) that topic again?
The best way to answer on some provocation (if you think that Orpheus is doing just that) is to simply ignore it.....or to open artillery fire....

But, if you feel that there are some issues left and if you wish to hear my opinion about it, please say so.
I will do my best to support with arguments any opinion that I might have that you consider that is influenced by ’media hype or brain washing’ and in a same time will not use any words that you may consider as personal attack.
My only fear is that after any such ’disscusion’ things may not be the same here anymore, reagarding our relations between our ’virtual personas’....

https://youtu.be/G29DXfcdhBg