Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Grace Kelly is Korean-American - from Boston IIRC. Her mother remarried a guy named Kelly, hence the surname.

She was part of Stay Human on the Late Show for awhile - I suspect she left as she has her own band and needs to tour.

She is a child prodigy and there are some videos on youtube of her as a child with a sax as large as she is propped up on a support so she can hold it.

It will be fun to watch her evolve with age.

----

My biggest hope is that reincarnation is real and so Trane will return...

but we are just lucky to live in an era of recorded music.

Thanks for that info Randy; I'm glad I discovered those facts from you, otherwise it could have been embarrassing if I saw her live and made that mistake.

As good as she is now, I'll keep my eye on her as she evolves.

This Bud's for you Randy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X4P2FD_M3Q

Enjoy the music.
****Frogman is evidently giving much thoughtful consideration to the link in question,****

Well, O-10, I am glad you look forward to my comments so much ☺️. Sorry to disappoint you; but, nah!, been getting our upstate digs ready for the winter. I did listen to that record while riding my tractor and mulching about five acres worth of Fall leaves.

Alex (and O-10, of course), I’ve had that record for many years. It’s an interesting record on a few counts. Hawkins was one of Rollins’ main influences; primarily in the area of tone. Rollins adopted Hawkins’ very muscular tone concept and is known to have admired Hawkins for an approach to improvisation which was (fasten your seatbelt, O-10) as Rollins himself is quoted as saying, more "intellectual" than other players’ of Hawkins’ generation.

These are/were two undisputed giants of the tenor saxophone. Hawkins is considered to have been the link between the great swing tenor players and the beboppers. His solo on his recording of "Body And Soul" is considered one of the all-time classic jazz solos; a groundbreaking solo that took improvisation from the very linear and traditionally melodic style of players like Lester Young to a new place of wider intervals and more "intellectual" outlining of chord changes, a style that reached full expression years later in John Coltrane.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFg6HvljDE

Sonny Rollins, while retaining the husky tone style of Hawkins got rid of much of the breathiness (subtone) in the sound and the tendency to end every phrase with very obvious and wide vibrato; both, telltale signs that a player is coming out of the swing tradition. He further took the harmonic vocabulary to a whole other place with a much more extended harmonic approach (playing outside the more traditional chord structure) for a far more interesting harmonic palette. He also uses a lot of humor in his playing with phrasing and rhythmic choices that sound downright silly at times. At one point (22:57) in "Just Friends" ("Old Friends"??) he quotes "How Are Things In Glocca Morra" (from the Broadway musical Finian’s Rainbow) of all things; but, as a mark of his genius, makes it work. As I said, I find the record interesting, there is a lot of great playing and there is undeniable charm in Rollins paying homage to one of his heroes. However, I don’t find the record particularly enjoyable.

Much has been made of Hawkins’ ability to play in a modern style or a more modern setting; I’m not so sure. Listen to "Body And Soul"; it is an absolute gem. That’s the style that Hawkins plays best and sounds most credible in with a rhythm section that is also in that stylistic frame of mind. He can sound exciting in some ways playing an uptempo tune like "Just Friends", but....there’s something not quite right. He was, in his heart of hearts, a great swing and ballad player. There is sometimes a kind of stylistic disconnect between the rhythm section and Hawkins. Likewise, when Rollins follows Hawkins, the rhythm section doesn’t switch gears and Rollins’ stylistic quirkiness and humor can sometimes sound like a "bull in a china closet" with the rhythm section sounding like it is just keeping time and not interacting with what he is playing like they should. I suppose all this is relatively subtle; but, I prefer to hear each player in his own comfort zone. My favorite Sonny record:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E8vZLljjb58

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKv7vAKVMs

Frogman, you're an odd 0ne; "Bait and switch Frogman" I dub thee;

You object to my involving you in a another discussion about politics. If that offended you, my apology. However, I need to point out that you had already involved yourself with your "torture chambers in Guantanamo" comment. Although I doubt it, perhaps your comment was meant solely as humor; not a topic that has much room for humor. Not being from this country and perhaps because of your political orientation, you may not be aware of the fact that this is a political topic that is highly "charged" in this country; however, I am sure you are aware of this. I need to also point out that while you object to my involving you, you don't seem to mind, and conveniently overlook, the fact that O-10 first involved you; and, at the expense of other participants here. Why did you not object to that, Alex?

"Torture chambers in Guantanamo" was used humorously by Alex, but I'm using as a fact, since you mentioned it.

Now you come back all nicee nice telling us about mulching leaves, when it was you that got me back into this conversation after I had dropped it "What's your point"?

And here you come with another one of your long diatribes that speak volumes about something Alex didn't say, but after you twist it around to the Frogmans way, there no telling what anybody said.