Cary SLP-03 pre-amp: Does it need better tubes than stock to sound its best??/

Need some feedback about the Cary SLP-03 pre-amp  How good is it "new right out of the box"?? 

Does it need  tube rolling to sound its "very best" or considered audiophile grade sound?

I have read one review of the pre-amp claiming  that RCA NOS 5814A tubes, or Mullards  tubes bring it to higher level off performance, or a  mix of two each. 

Supposedly , the pre-amp is.... "extremely tube sensitive"  I am not sure what the significance of that phrase means 

It would be hooked to a BAT VK-200 amp,.... and like the amp, it has both XLR and RCA connectors  

Thank you

sunnyjim
I am a big fan of Cary and have a lot of respect for their products, but in IMHO and experience, the SLP-03 is not a very good performer even taking into account it's modest price point.  You would be much better off looking at a Cary SLP-98
(((You would be much better off looking at a Cary SLP-98)))
 Strongly disagree

Sunnyjim is trying to connect 3 balanced components together
the 98 is an RCA design not at its best here.

I would suggest the least expensive pre owned ARC with balanced
in /out you can find.
 Best JohnnyR
Sunnyjim is trying to connect 3 balanced components together
the 98 is an RCA design not at its best here.
Where do you read this??

It would be hooked to a BAT VK-200 amp,.... and like the amp, it has both XLR and RCA connectors  
The OP did not specify xlr only.  If the OP want a balanced pre, then yes, the SLP-98 is not a good candidate, but it does not change my opinion of the SLP-03