Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
I don’t buy the "gas guzzler" A/B vs. "green" class D arguments for the latter. Kilowatt hours are cheap and relatively clean until you pile up a WHOLE lot of ’em. With typical audiophile usage patterns, and the fact that we’re a VERY small segment of the population, there’s no significant ecological impact here.

The extreme case would be a 100+ Watts pure Class A amp user, who leaves amps on 24/7, switching to a class D amp. Then yes, you’re going from a $1,000+ yearly power bill to like 100 bucks. But that’s an outlier. With more sane usage patterns -- e.g. a class A/B tube amp that you turn on/off as needed -- the difference is close to negligible. And as far as ecological impact, class D probably makes things worse overall, due to the fact that audiophiles ship ’em over, decide they don’t like the sound, and then ship ’em right off again.
If you want to be eco friendly, and be a little compromised at the moment, then sure get a ClassD.
Or pay the bucks and get "maybe the new Technics SE-R1 Class D".
http://www.technics.com/us/products/r1/se-r1.html#overview
Cheers George
I have two integrateds, an Audio Research VSi55 running KT120s and a Peachtree Grand X-1 (Class D).  Through both pairs of speakers I own, Wilson Benesch Arc and BMC PureVox (both retail for $6500, whether these qualify as low-fi, mid-fi or otherwise is a matter of perspective and budget), I'd choose the Peachtree every day.     It sounds every bit as nice as the Audio Research, but runs cool, keeps the electric bill low, and takes up very little space while putting out huge power.  I guess admittedly there are a few cold days each winter where it's nice to use the Audio Research to both play music and heat the room, but otherwise it collects dust.   So I guess in my case, the future arrived 3 years ago when I bought the Peachtree. 

All that stuff about switching frequencies and flux capacitors and quantum math, I don't know anything about that.   I just press the power button, hit play, and sweet music comes out.  For all I know there's a team of hamsters inside the Peachtree playing little tiny violins.  I leave all that stuff to you engineers...if it sounds good, that's all I need to know. 
George, I looked at the link you provided.  Yes they use filters for the purpose of measurements to eliminate residue of switching frequency that is otherwise completely benign. This small residue (about 1%) has no effect on the sound.  Speaker membrane will react (move) to its average value only.

I don’t buy the "gas guzzler" A/B vs. "green" class D arguments for the latter. Kilowatt hours are cheap and relatively clean until you pile up a WHOLE lot of ’em. With typical audiophile usage patterns, and the fact that we’re a VERY small segment of the population, there’s no significant ecological impact here. 
According to this pouring used car engine oil to kitchen sink is OK (does not have environmental impact) since very few people do it.

And as far as ecological impact, class D probably makes things worse overall, due to the fact that audiophiles ship ’em over, decide they don’t like the sound, and then ship ’em right off again
That's funny.
This small residue (about 1%) has no effect on the sound
Put your ear to a wide bandwidth tweeter, you will hear it’s poluting artifacts. If not the filter effects is set very low to cut way down to 10khz or even less, creating all sorts of other problems.

Cheers George