Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
It looks like Merrill is taking Hypex modules, putting them in beautiful cases with Cardas wiring, Cardas connectors, custom house brand power cable, & stillpoint feet...and putting a seal on the bottom of the case saying the warranty is void if the case is opened. Then their Veritas & Thor amps get reviewed and the reviewers claim that the sound is as good as amps costing 2-3 times as much. I don't doubt that Hypex is state of the art, but these appear to be clone amplifiers.    

seanhesist I wouldn't call Merrill amps clones. It’s like baking a cake, taking ingredients and doing your own implementation to get the taste/sound you want. I know Merrill also uses high end fuses and yes I’ve heard them and they are super sounding amps. I could not detect any faults but will say it was mated to a tube pre-amp which can make or break the sound of some class D amps IMO. I'm now a believer.

Quite some years ago, I purchased a pair of Bel Canto REF-1000.

It ended up being my absolute worst purchase in my 30+ years in this hobby.

I understand of course that those class "D" designs have much improved since.

Still, I could not bring myself even today to even remotely give D another shot.

"It’s like baking a cake"
Actually, it’s more like frosting a cake that someone else baked.

When I owned the Atsah’s (same Hypex Ncore modules as the Veritas, also in milled aluminum boxes) I had the opportunity to try different wiring harnesses between boards and from the boards to the binding posts. I tried high quality wire from Harmonic Technology (individually insulated multiple strands of OCC copper), Jupiter (high quality copper in cotton) and others and the differences between changing about 5 inches of wire did not even approach the difference between chocolate and vanilla frosting on the cake. I agree Cardas wire is good (I have Lundahl transformers using Cardas wire that sound very good) but I doubt it changes the basic signature of the amplifiers, and certainly no more than changing speaker cables.

One thing Merrill does that I like is they apparently (not confirmed because I know of no posted pictures of the insides of Merrill’s amps) solder the wire directly to the boards rather than use the generic plastic connectors intended for the Hypex boards. However, I would have an issue owning a component where the manufacturer is so concerned with people looking at how it is constructed that they would not allow the end-user/owner to even open the box to change the fuse.

seanheis1, while most newer class D amps are incredibly quiet, -- as in having no background noise -- foreshortened decay or "ead and opaque leadden silence around the note is not the sign of any good amp, unless a track was created synthetically and not from a live recording, in which case, no amp can ;be imputed with wrong doing.

Rather, a good amp, and so much so a good class D amp, is expected to give you what is sometimes called the "sound of the living Silence", that is the natural decay of notes, and the unavoidable ambient cues characteristic of all venues, except for anecoic chambers.

Saluti, G.