Bluesound Node2

Let me start by saying I'm a (very) late convert from vinyl into the digital domain. I finally got very curious  about what I might be missing and recently purchased a Bluesound Node2 and got a Tidal HiFi subscription. I have it connected to my preamp's MP3 connection and I think the sound quality is real good, CD quality depending on the original content. That said, I see a lot of folks buying either external DACs or preamp's with a built in DAC. Given that I don't use my computer as a source for music, are there any advantages in having a DAC? I do have an average quality CD player that I occasionally use but I'm now finding myself using Tidal more and more for almost all my "digital" content. Just trying to find out  what I'm missing. Thanks. 

128x128kalali
I replaced my Mac mini with a Node 2 in April of this year and I haven't look back since. The on-board DAC (Burr Brown PCM5122) sounds just fine if you want to stop there. I have the Schiit Bifrost Multibit and the Chord Qute EX to play around with and both of these DACs sound quite a bit better than the on-board DAC and they should considering all. 
I have a Sonos Connect that I originally tried it's built-in DAC, but then ran a coax cable to my outboard DAC and it sounds much better.

As stated above, it would depend on the DAC.
I just purchase the Node 2 and had the opposite experience of some of the above posters - I found the Node 2 sounded better than my Bifrost (with the 4490 upgrade).

I performed a side-by-side comparison and initially, could hear no difference. Then I replaced the stock power cable that came with the Node 2 and it opened it up and presented more details and clarity than my Bifrost - which I found quite surprising.

The Bifrost has been an excellent DAC and it had responded positively to great cables, but the on-board DAC in the Node 2 definitely has the edge when connected with those very same cables.

The Node 2 also allows me to cut the iMac umbilical - finally!

Simple to install, great sound, nice interface and my wife does not have to become a techy to operate it

FYI - I'm using the Node 2 connected via Ethernet - not wi-fi.

Bye Bye Apple :-o

I seem to be having some network issues and was told by their support that the NAS drive had to be connected to the same "switch/router" that the NODE2 was connected to.

Anyone else have an opinion as to how to connect a NAS to a Node 2

Many Thanks
@williewonka 

I have a direct connection of my router to my Node 2 by Ethernet cable. I plan to use a NAS in the future; when I do I thought I would connect the NAS to the to the router via Ethernet and the NAS to the Node 2 by Ethernet cable as well (I assume this will work).

In no way am I implying that this is best. I'm just hoping it would work well when I get a NAS. I not only wanted to get my computer out of the room when I got the Node 2, I also wanted to try something besides a USB connection.

I've been very happy with the results of the signal going directly to my Node 2 via Ethernet cable from my router.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

Scott