Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Ghosthouse, I got to have it. I go way back with Pat Metheney, live and on records. He's one of the most creative musicians I can think of. He comes up with music that's new and unique, it's not some kind of style; like this is "new music"; no it is simply "Pat Metheney's music".

That sax was the "change up" that kept the music interesting. Pat Metheney is a master musician; that composition was cooking from beginning to end, it kept changing, but at the same time maintaining the musical flow of good sounds.

I enjoyed the music.
Glad you liked the Metheny track, Orpheus. I followed Pat closely back in the ’80s but not for quite a while since then. Acman’s posting of "Acid Kiss" from The Cuong Vu Trio Meets Pat Metheny got me interested in what he is doing now - this Unity Sessions CD being some of his recent work. Worth reading about. Culmination of a lengthy tour (150 shows if I recall correctly) with this same outfit. Guess they were "honed" at that point. It seems a strong recording all through. Another potential "buy".

Ghosthouse, this is jazz that has progressed from "jazz jazz"; that's the music Wynton Marsalis and Rok want to hear until the end of time.

While the music they made in the 50's and 60's is fine with me, the musicians who try to duplicate it now, come up way short; it can not be done, and it sounds like what it is; an imitation of real jazz.

Although the new music is called "jazz" (you got to call it something) even the musicians don't like the word "jazz". They can call Pat Metheney's music what they like, and I will still like it; but Pat is human and I don't like all of his music, but I can't think of any musician that I liked "all" of their music.

Out of all the current musicians, he's at the top with any other musicians I can think of.

Enjoy the music.