Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Reporting from 'rest of the world'.
 Imagine if all the people would listen to 'jazz jazz' and not the Jazz Pistols, for examp.
I bet some 'of us' would soon find some other stuff to enjoy....
I mean, all that 'plink plink' on guitars and 'doo boo daba dub' on horns, that got to become boring, at some point...
So, I say welcome to listeners of 'Jazz Pistols' or even Kenny G, or house or mtv music
Only with them around and their music, you got the chance to fully appreciate 'your stuff', what ever that might be...
****The Duke nailed it with the good and bad thing. People will be listening to Miles and Mozart and folks like that, forever.****

Duke’s often quoted comment is one of the simplest and most "to the point" comments ever uttered about music and one that I (not meaning to be self-serving) have quoted here at least two dozen times. However, I think our interpretation of the comment is sometimes, in fact, "self-serving" or, at least, incomplete and can be distorted to buttress our own preferences in music without acknowledging just how inclusive, imo, that comment was intended to be. Let’s put things in some sort of context:

First of all, while it is fitting to quote Duke’s comment on a thread about jazz, it should be pointed out that Duke was not the first prominent musician to be credited with that insightful comment. In 1863, while having a conversation with a colleague about ethnicity in music, the great Italian composer Gioachino Rossini is known to have said:

+++ My dear sir, there is no such distinction as you suppose between Italian, German and French music; there are only two kinds of music, good and bad. +++

It is quite possible that Duke, being the student of Classical music that he was, was inspired by Rossini’s well documented comment. This simple possibility adds weight to the truth in the comment; a Jazz musician may have been inspired by the comment of a Classical musician. But, back to Duke and since we are quoting Duke, let’s quote him some more:

+++ It is becoming increasingly difficult to decide where jazz starts or where it stops, where Tin Pan Alley begins and jazz ends, or even where the borderline lies between between classical music and jazz. I feel there is no boundary line. +++

+++ I don’t believe in categories of any kind, ((and when you speak of problems between blacks and whites in the U.S.A. you are referring to categories again)). +++

For further context let’s also remember that Duke was also the person who said:

+++ Bop is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing +++

He was a giant and musical genius....and still subject to personal bias.

I don’t believe that Duke was putting any style, genre, or historical constraints on the meaning of the comment. Iow, while I am sure he was a fan of Mozart and Miles, he was also a fan of Stravinsky and Bartok; composers who have been called "noise makers" here.

Given all of the above, I have no doubt that Duke would find "good" music in some of the "new jazz inflicted on us recently".  Well, probably not in "Kenny G. and house music" ☺️.  Musical giant that he was, he understood music on a much higher level than any of us ever will and while we would all like to think that our own individual and personal scope of what defines "good" music is "the truth", the "truth-truth" (pun) necessarily demands a deep understanding of much more than what we like or don’t like. As always, nothing wrong with stating that any one music or period in music is our favorite or even our "truth", but to make that a general truth for anyone but ourselves without a more comprehensive understanding of music including its technical elements (like Duke had in spades) and its relation and relevance to the time of its creation is pointless.

If we want to use record sales as an indication of "good" (I don’t), while it is true that KOB is the best selling jazz record of all time, take a look at this list of the best-selling Jazz records of all time (let’s also be honest and not forget the debates right here about wether KBO actually deserves the notoriety that it receives). The results of this survey may surprise some, but of note are the facts that, out of thirty four, fourteen are "Fusion" and Pat Metheny ties Miles with three, and Duke is nowhere to be found on the list.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Rifugium/best_selling_jazz_albums_of_all_time__riaa___or_theres_no_mon...

***** +++ My dear sir, there is no such distinction as you suppose between Italian, German and French music; there are only two kinds of music, good and bad. +++ *****

The good and bad part might be true, the rest is not.   I think any competent Classical musician can see and hear differences between French, German and Italian Music.   Of course we don't know  the 'distinctions' to which he was referring.

Cheers
***** If we want to use record sales as an indication of "good" *****

I was making the point that the old Jazz is still more popular than modern noise.

KOB is no where near my favorite music.   Not even within Miles' output.

Any list where Metheny outranks Ella and Coltrane is obviously useless in demonstrating anything other than the sad state of Jazz and the people who listen to it today.

I think Wynton summed up Metheny very nicely.

Cheer