Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Why do so many of these 'new Jazz' groups feature guitar players so prominently?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers
***** Moreover, I don't read any particularly insightful comments or explanations as to why old jazz is always "better" other than "I say it is". "new jazz is noise", or "Wynton says it is"*****

Wynton said that The stuff Miles and Metheny was playing,  was NOT JAZZ.  Had nothing to do with new or old Jazz.   It was not Jazz of any type.   He was / is right.

Do you think New Jazz is always better?   Do you think it is equal to the original?   Do you think there is no difference is artistic quality?

I say one era is light years ahead of the other in both quality and quantity.  Others may disagree.

I do think, that if there was not a constant attempt to keep real Jazz in the conversation, it would NEVER be talked about on this thread.

Cheers
BTW, by old and new, I do not refer to the date it was played, written or recorded, but to the type of 'Jazz' it is.   A lot of great Jazz being played today. A few examples are,  Dee Dee, JALC, Branford, Gregory porter, Christian MacBride, and a host of folks from the New Orleans scene.  There are many other recent greats, but I am not sure they are still with us.  It seems like never a day goes by that we don't lose someone.

Cheers

Emmanuel Pahud: Debussy/ Syrinx, is hauntingly beautiful.

Lew Tabackin's "Pyramid" is likewise, ever so beautiful.

Today is a good day for music;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE0qBOhVsiM

Old versus New, is not the issue; what I like and don't like is the issue.

From my vantage point there has been as much "old" jazz (I dislike "jazz-jazz") posted here that I would consider mediocre or even sub-par as there has been "new" jazz that I can say the same about. This goes to what I think is a key question that never receives a satisfactory answer in the endless debate about old vs. new jazz:

While I agree with what you posted, it seems that I'm supposed to like jazz because it's new as opposed to "music" to my ears; whether it's new or old, either I like it or I don't like it.

I feel like I'm "short timin" and I don't have enough left to evaluate for any length  of time.

I don't recall being a fan of Wynton? Maybe part of your post applies to someone else who I refuse to name.

Enjoy the music.

Herby Mann, sure is sounding good today.

"Comin Home Baby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJEjFh2FOzA

"Norwegian Wood"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJEjFh2FOzA

I bought a record "Common Ground" by Herby, and I liked the music, but not the recording quality; later on I discovered he couldn't hear too well.

Does anybody have that with good recording quality?

Enjoy the music.