Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Music is a composite picture of everything about you; where you were born, when you were born, your life experiences, and your personality.

I see no reason to "cultivate" a taste for anything; just let it flow, and let everything find you, that's the natural order of things, and they work best that way.

As an example, I have a CD titled "The World's Best Classical Music", and I can hardly get past the first cut; that's the natural order of things, that's the way it's supposed to be.

Ghosthouse, when you expressed your disdain for the "standards" in jazz, that said it all. Enjoy whatever you find that's enjoyable, and leave the rest; go on life's merry journey with a song in your heart, and a smile on your face.

That's my advice for the day, and there is no charge, that was free.
O - Please, where did I express "disdain for the standards in jazz"?

From Merriam Webster -
Full Definition of disdain: a feeling of contempt for someone or something regarded as unworthy or inferior : scorn.

The fact I don’t find certain music interesting is way different than saying I regard it as inferior or with scorn! Unlike some around here, I’m not passing judgement on its merits in any objective way. I have too much respect for the genre and the opinions of many others to place myself in that falsely superior sort of position. It’s a case of brussel sprouts, beets, or liver and onions. Works for some, just not for me. Almost feel like I need to go compile a list of old jazz that I do find interesting. Well, no need. Here is something right at hand: Allen Toussaint’s "Bright Mississppi". That’s old stuff but it works for me in that album...wonderful arrangements and musicianship, great song selection and track sequencing. I do admit the fact such music held and holds my interest did surprise me. Could add to the list (e.g., that Blue Note Concert DVD; various Coltrane recordings; the Les McCann "On Time") but won’t. Just don’t want you to misunderstand what I was saying. I will continue to check out the various musics recommended here. Some will stick and some won’t. That’s more a comment about me since, to paraphrase you, the music we love is a composite picture of everything about us; where we were born, when we were born, our life experiences, and personalities. Well said. We’re happy for the stuff that sticks.

Peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqBZetLqYFY&ab_channel=StefanoBrilli

Ghosthouse, "Oregon" is nice, they are well represented in my collection. Whether or not it's jazz "What difference does it make"? It's good music.

Like I said in my last post "Go with the flow that is you" We can't all like the same music.

Ghosthouse, I appreciate your honesty, more than anything in regard to music that's new to you. Currently I'm into "old school" Jimmy Smith, and I would like your opinion of this music.

You can't be expected to like it as well as me and other aficionados, because I heard this music when it was brand new, and I couldn't wait to get to the record store to get the latest "Jimmy Smith". This was when he was making albums with Kenny Burrell on guitar; that was a pair made in heaven. Two of my favorites were "Motorin Along" and "All Day Long"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUVDk0BCYxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Qg7tAEGQw

Enjoy the music.
Hello O - Always appreciate the music suggestions. Jimmy Smith is a name I actually know. My bro in law, a musician and boutique studio owner (does it all...engineering, production, arranging, mastering) is a good keyboard player too. Has a Hammond B3 he’s done some restoration on. He turned me on to "Back at the Chicken Shack". Jimmy Smith was in that Blue Note concert DVD too.  Of your two tracks, I like Motorin’ Along best.  Burrell and Smith is a good combination.  I like what Burrell plays on that track a lot.  His sound might not have the bite of modern electric "rock" guitar but he sure has great skills.

Got to say, I think we should meet up some time for lunch at Kate’s. Wish there were more of those old style luncheonettes still around.  Might have to get that Home Cookin' just for the cover art.  Thanks.