Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I can tell from"Yellow Bell", that Oregon has good recording quality; it was about that time they realized how important such things are.

I am enjoying the music.
Ghosthouse and others, some mean guitar and not only that...from the year 1968. 
'Comeback special' session....

https://youtu.be/bB0OvdCmESY
Oregon "...managed to combine truly deep musical substance and creativity with just the right amount of "New Age" sound while avoiding the (to me) triteness and "lite" quality of most New Age music."

Great observations, Frogman. PLUS, Oregon had the Ralph Towner factor.

Read some comments from him about Oregon, something to the effect of, they saw themselves as a small chamber orchestra.

O - Here’s another surprise (was to me too)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=julm1AwNn1U&ab_channel=d22

I don’t think my copy of the CD has liner notes like this one though. (That’s because this YouTube clip is from the re-issue. I went with the original CD release.)

Tonight, listening to this one. Not a false note in the whole thing. Link above is to Patterns but Stolen Moments is probably my favorite on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpwxyQh2ZdA&ab_channel=ObertonePerformanceArt

Alex - I tried to check out your "mean guitar" link but got this notice:This video contains content from elvis. It is not available in your country.

I always heard The King had a tight backing band but know very little of the particulars. Just never was a big fan of The King. My appreciation of good musicianship is a little broader than it was, so I am curious about what you hear in that track.

Found both Roots in the Sky and Out of the Woods on Tidal and saved them to Favorites. My initial impression is both are more polished and better realized than Winter Light or Distant Hills. Yes, O...sonics on these (Yellow Bell playing now) are very good. A pleasure to listen to on a number of levels. Not sure Rok would call it jazz. There’s definitely an improvisational element but don’t think they are working from a blues structure. Liking it quite a bit. Thanks to both of you for the recommendations.

PS - I'm no Oregon expert.  I backed into Oregon only superficially after discovering Towner's Solstice on ECM.  Paid more attention to Tower as solo artist than diving into Oregon.   But now it's a new window of opportunity.  
"My favorite comment of hers was when she was interviewed about Amy Winehouse recording with the Daptone house band. She said something like "Some people study the blues and then try to sing it. While I open my mouth the blues just pours out". "

I copied this from another thread talking about the recent  death of Blues singer Sharon Jones.   Substitute the word 'Blues' with 'Jazz'.

By Jove, I think she nailed it.  Makes a good point for this thread.

Cheers