Vintage MONO Cartridge Question ?

I am about to create a dedicated Mono TT system (I have the table and arm), and now need a cartridge.

Which would you choose as your dedicated Mono cartridge:

Ortofon ESL C60 or Concert
Fairchild 225a
Grado Mono Moving Coil

Why ?

I understand that all would need to be rebuilt before I can expect to use reliably.

Thanks !

iopscrl
A true mono cartridge, which has only one coil, can have vertical compliance without generating any noise as a result, if there is no mechanism to transduce vertical movement into an audio signal.

My point exactly. Vertical compliance by itself does not disqualify a cartridge from being "true mono."

Another issue, I much prefer 2-channel mono over the idea of using only one of two speakers when listening to mono. Old habits die hard, I guess. But this is why I personally have no interest in ancient true mono, 2-pin cartridges from the 50s. (While I am a big proponent of vintage stereo cartridges.)
No argument here! I *love* mono played through two speakers, esp. with my Maggie dipoles which energize the entire room. It's also a great way for tuning the system. If your mono signal is dead center between the speakers and you get a sense of depth, you're on the right track.

lopscri wrote:
An answer to my original question ?   Buelller........Bueller.......
Maybe you should write some vintage enthusiasts, such as Art Dudley w/Stereophile. You need someone really familar with old mono carts, which isn't exactly mainstream, even for vinyl enthusiast audiophiles, evidently. I'm a bit of an anachronism myself--big band enthusiast since 1965, grew up in a house with a big tube Zenith radio/78 rpm record player. I'm 63, have been at audio since I was 18. My phono stage and line stage are both PTP hand-wired all-tube units. I have at least 80 mono LPs ranging from the '50s (Belafonte's "Calypso", RCA Ortho-phonics, etc.) to originals from the '60s to Prestige and Riverside mono jazz reissues.

And yet I have absolutely no knowledge of pre-1962 mono cartridges.

Iopscri,

You might find the answer to your specific question at Lenco Heaven. I saw a number of threads there about those carts.

Regards,