BAT VKD5SE problems reading some cds

Has anyone had problems with the BAT not wanting to read certain cds (usually older or burned).
srgarrell
srgarrell

Most probably the laser getting tired, the VK-D5se uses a Phillips Vam12 laser, find out on google if it’s interchangable with any of the other Vam ones, as they are all very cheap to pickup on ebay, even the whole mechanisim with laser, just a plug and 4 bolts and your done.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Philips+VAM12&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573....
And looking at the inside if your handy, it’s not very hard to do yourself, look at some youtube vids how to change Philips vam12.
http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/BAT%20VK5D-SE/VK-D5large.jpg

Cheers George
" Not BAT, but my EAR will not read WMA files, so I know that not every player reads every format.  If it works with normal commercial CDs, I think you're OK. "

No Redbook only player will play WMA files. CD is the only compatible format.

Until you get the issue resolved, take a problem CD and copy it. If the copy doesn't work, Rip the CD and then burn the ripped files to a cdr.

If you do the above, you should get at least some of them to work.
Thanks for the responses.
I do not own the BAT player yet.
It is one I am considering buying for a good price.
The seller informed me of this problem and I am trying to decide if it is a deal breaker.
Call BAT and see how much a new transport costs. If none of the connections are soldiered, you shouldn't have any problems installing it yourself.
If none of the connections are soldiered
Always a plug on Philips VAM series lasers which this unit has. Some have a protective static solder blob that bridges across two tracks that need to be unbridged after it’s installed, this is easy.
As for sending it to BAT, that fine if you don’t mind being hit hard for the work and parts mark up. As you can see with the ebay link I posted, the whole mechanism with laser already in it is around $15-$30 and it takes about 1/2hr do the job. 1hr if you not experienced but have some skill set.

Cheers George